Subdividing my PPOR

Discussion in 'Development' started by holdingbags, 9th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. holdingbags

holdingbags Member

Hi All,

New member here with first post

I am wanting to start my first subdivision/development on my current PPOR. The property is ~800sqm located in Rowville Victoria. The plan is to keep the existing dwelling and possibly renovate (positioned front left of block) and build a townhouse out the back, with the shared driveway running down the right hand side of the property - a 'battle axe' configuration.
    I have a number of concerns already eg a brick garage would need to demolished, a slight slop in the land.

I'm seeking advice on how to start this process in terms of the professionals i need to engage, and then what the overall workflow/process from start to finish looks like. i also want to create a feasibility study and cost benefit analysis together - i'll be able to put this together once i have an understanding of the process and professionals required.

I don't know if i missed any critical information here but pleas let me know if i have.

Any advice or directing to resources would be greatly appreciated.

2. tl_6100

tl_6100 Well-Known Member

I have just completed a similar project over in Perth.

I suggest booking some time in with a local town planner to discuss the project and get an idea on costs. The planner assisting me was able to provide an estimate of all the service fees and help identify any risks.

All the best it's a great adventure.

3. holdingbags

holdingbags Member

Thanks for the reply tl_6100. How long did the process take start to finish?
    I've found a town planner through a friend since reading your post this morning, he was immediately right on to it. I do have a few additional questions if you don't mind.
    • How did you educate yourself on the overall process?
    • What were some surprise/unexpected costs?
    • What was your biggest learning form the process?