Subdividing in Eagleby

Discussion in 'Development' started by Taku Ekanayake, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Does anyone know the minimum land required to subdivide in Eagleby QLD?

I'm getting mixed reviews, also some saying it's part of Gold Coast council rules.
    My Eagleby property is 908m2 with side access. Hadn't thought of subdividing when I first purchased but if it meet requirements, it may come handy.

Cheers,

Taku

Perthguy likes this.
  2. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

isn't it 1000sqm to subdivide? I thought Eagleby was Logan council

3. Taku Ekanayake

4. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    I think you'll find that it was under the gold coast but is now under the new logan planning scheme. I think it's minimum 700sqm for a corner block

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  5. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

6. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Eagleby was part of Gold Coast City Council but was transferred to Logan City Council when the Council areas were redistributed. However, as a new planning scheme for Logan had not been created at the time, the area was still subject to the requirements of the Gold Coast Planning Scheme. This changed in 2015 with the introduction of the Logan Planning Scheme 2015 so the area is now subject to the provisions of Logan Planning Scheme 2015. You haven't mentioned anything about the zoning of the site etc (which influences what you can do with your site) so I'm going to assume it is zoned Low Density Residential (Suburban Precinct) and is also a corner lot.

The minimum lot size is 350sqm with a minimum average lot size of 500sqm, a minimum frontage of 15m or 17m (corner lot). As you only have 908sqm, you will only be able to achieve a minimum average lot size of 454sqm. You may still be able to subdivide but you will need to lodge an Impact Assessable development application. You will also need to demonstrate that the lots are of a size, shape, dimension and density that are consistent with the intended character of the area. Any other nearby lots less than 500sqm? If so, you might have a shot.

7. Taku Ekanayake

Hey @LJW,
    Thanks for the great feedback. It's actually not a corner block but has side access - will this still work?
    I will have to do some more research to see if any nearby blocks are 500m2.
    Btw, when you say 'nearby' - does this have to be on the same street or what sort of proximity are we talking about?

Cheers,

Taku

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@Taku Ekanayake you will normally find the duty planner at council quite helpful, find out when they are least busy, ring them, be nice, ask lots of questions and pay a few compliments. You will get heaps of detailed info on what is likely to work. I find giving them the address and talking through the options often helps.

9. Taku Ekanayake

@BuyersAgent thanks so much for the feedback and advice. I'll ring them this week - haha flattery always kills!

Cheers,

Taku

10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

@Taku Ekanayake

Interesting... I found this property 10 Japonica Street Eagleby Qld 4207 - House for Sale #124578726 - realestate.com.au
    Then I dig into a bit more.

The property was originally a 809m2 lot with 20m frontage and the owner was able to subdivide into 2 x 405m2 lots ( this splitter is similar to what can be achieved in BCC council)

It appears the planning and DA is still under planning of GC....(it could LCC couldn't be bothered to changing the planning when it was merged into LCC in 2007, or maybe they accept both DA...not sure.)

From the Eagleby Local Area Plan map below, if still current, the RD1 zoned depict a "up to 25 Dwelling per net hectare". This means you can actually subdivide for lots that are 800m2
    In comparison, Logan City most of the "suburban" zoned have a 20 dwelling per net hectare meaning you need 1000m2 to subdivide..

upload_2017-1-28_10-4-53.png

upload_2017-1-28_10-5-18.png

380 and bob shovel like this.
  11. Taku Ekanayake

very interesting! thanks for bringing this to my attention @RetireRich101 - shows the application was submitted on October last year. can't find 10A is selling also as a vacant block of land with 10.7m frontage. definitely a good case for mine as it's only three streets away.
    10A Japonica Street Eagleby Qld 4207 - Residential Land for Sale #201703370 - realestate.com.au

12. RetireRich101

oh wow, he is trying to sell the other half, a vacant land for 220k..

I think it was a fire damaged house, owner demolished it and sold the 809m2 land for 185k
    Address available on request, Eagleby, Qld 4207 - Property Details

some purchased and subdivided, build a house on 405m2 and is selling the 405m2 vacant land.

anyone up for a challenge to see what profits (if any) he is making on the deal?

380 and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  13. Taku Ekanayake

if he gets even $220K for the vacant block, that means he has covered the cost for the $185K he paid for the entire block and $25K for the sub-division.

what would a new house like that cost to build? never done a new build but would $250K be safe to assume?

if he sells that for $440K - that would still be gross $190K ish, then minus selling costs, tax, holding costs etc. what else have i missed?

14. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@RPI

His planning team knows things back to front!

Just be mindful of subdivision cost

MTR likes this.
  15. RetireRich101

me thinks,
    End value:
    New house on 405m2 sells for $380-420k
    405m2 vacant land sells for $200-215k
    Total $580-635k

Cost:
    810m2 land $190k
    Subdivision cost $55-75k
    build house 190m2 $220-230k turn key with basic landscape driveway..
    Selling cost $20k
    Loan $15k
    Total cost $500-530k

Profit 80k-105k (16-20%)

we can keep tab on the realestate for the 2 properties to see what the end value is sold

16. Taku Ekanayake

like the numbers. from memory it said he/she purchased the block in Oct 2015 i believe. Will be around 18 months once transacted. because it's been over a year, he'll get minimise his CGT also.

17. 10927

10927 Member

Did you get the sub division done? I had one done earlier this year in Robina. Total costs amounted to $45k. You need 400 square meters on each block to subdivide under Gold Coast City Council. The whole process took about 4 months.

18. RetireRich101

Was that $45k also include the infra fee about 28k?

19. 10927

10927 Member

That was the total cost from having just a standard block of land with a house on it to a cut off piece of land without a house on it - the cost was inclusive of land surveying, council fees, conveyancing fees. From what I know and this experience; its almost always easier to get it approved under a community title (means you have to share a letterbox at the boundaries of the property if only that) rather than a seperate title. We originally submitted the application as a seperate title but it came back from council with issues so we resubmitted under a group title and it passed within a few weeks. If you need a good conveyancer get in touch - the gentleman we used worked in council for most of his life and can get things passed through much quicker.