Subdividing and building 2 in QLD. Project Manager to help me?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Jmillar, 14th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm just lodging a DA on 1 of the 2 sites I'm going to subdivide and build on this year. I've never subdivided or built before. Both are in QLD - I live in Sydney but travel to QLD every month or 2.

I'm using Brett Richards from PRO Town Planners who is great. Brett has recently helped me source some quotes for surveyors and architects. One of the Architects is offering an additional service which is 'builder selection' and 'quality control during construction'.

I like this idea - I have a friend who is basically a development consultant for commercial property and the amount of $$ and headaches he saves his clients well outweighs his costs. I'd love to find someone who can help me:
    - Advise of any obvious changes to the architectural plans (I own 10 IPs but never built before)
    - Help run a tender process amongst builders and choose the most appropriate builder
    - Help manage the builder and ensure they aren't cutting corners etc

I'm planning on retaining the new buildings, not selling - so I want to ensure I get a good quality product for a reasonable price. Also I'm pretty time-poor, so at the right price it's definitely worth it for me.

Has anyone used someone for this purpose recently? Can you advise what the rough costs were and if it was a good experience, recommend them?

Cheers

2. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Where are they @jmiller ? I have several people I could recommend but the are mostly Brisbane based and 1 in Morayfield

3. Jmillar

One in Ipswich area, one in Logan area.

That would be great! Have you used them before?

4. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

I've dealt with them as clients for years but i dont know anyone with experience in those areas , sorry

5. ORAC

ORAC Well-Known Member

Recommend that you contact:

These guys do this all the time. Have the process, skills and contacts.

Depending on the type of house you are building, there are many different builders. If looking for a bit upmarket, then check out, Marvilla Knight Constructions,
    Marvillaknight.com.au. Their speciality is working with small time developers, narrow lot sites.

6. Jmillar

Thanks guys!

They will be pretty basic builds, but I want to retain long-term.

Any other contacts would be appreciated!

Cheers

7. Flying_Spanner

Flying_Spanner Member

I wouldn't touch Marvilla Knight Constructions with a 10ft pole! Also I think you will find they have liquidated the company in recent weeks.

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member