Sub-division costs

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tia Borg, 24th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tia Borg

Tia Borg New Member

Hi, I'm looking to sub-divide a property in the Ipswich region and am looking for estimated costs so I know what I need to budget in.

Thanks

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

That's like saying "I'm going to a restaurant to eat, how much will it cost".

Gimm, standtall, Rentvester and 2 others like this.
  3. Tia Borg

Tia Borg New Member

At least there is a price on the menu so you know if you can afford the lobster or not.

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah but you haven't even told us which restaurant you're going to, let alone what you're picking on the menu.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Let alone if you even like the food on offer. Is the land 1000 acres needing massive planning and civils and levies etc (Millions) or 500m2 in which case it wont be large enough to subdivide. Just because land may be subdivisible doesnt mean it will be approved or may need speical conditions or even be cost inefficient. The alternative is also strata use. Dual dwelling on same title and more.

A town planner in the region may be better engaged to advise.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  6. Tia Borg

Tia Borg New Member

Hi, I'm looking to subdivide a 1200m2 block. The lot next door which is identical has already been sub-divided and there is dual street access. The current house on the land is in the correct location and should be a straight forward split to then have a new house on the other street frontage. Council have said this is a possibility but just wanting to know what I need to look out for and if someone has had a recent experience sub-dividing in the Ipswich area and have some form of number they could throw out there. I've reached out to 3 different town planners already but waiting for a response.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Most TPs are very busy and there is no substitute to their local knowledge. The process of approval is complex and specific to each lot. They know the costs, issues, timing and even have loads of contacts for designs if you plan to build. If you plan to sell the undeveloped land you may find our developer toolkit a good read before accessing personal tax advice.

Attached Files:

8. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I'd give it a 90% chance that you will never hear from them.
    The council website should have the plans for next door and on them the company that did the plans. Maybe try contacting them.
    See if there's a few other you can check out as well.
    Or look around the neighborhood and if you see someone doing the same thing, ask them who they used for their plans.

9. Justin_mo

Justin_mo Well-Known Member

I'm also looking at Ipswich, well that general area. Seems like a good place to get a large land package for a reasonable price and subdivide. I'm not hugely knowledgeable on the suburbs, but learning.
    I'm wondering if there are companies, well wondering what professional I can pay to do a quick review on a property, once I find one I like and tell me if there are subdivision issues and whether the property likely makes sense to buy and subdivide.

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do a search within this site-RPI and let a professional take you through the sometimes complicated process..

Tufan Chakir likes this.