Sub-dividing block WA

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Martinez22, 9th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Is it possible to subdivide a 710 sqm block down the middle? Instead of sub-dividing to build units we thought it might be better to sell half the land and build a narrow two storey home on the other. Are there any restrictions?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Depends what the zoning is. The Rcodes also specify minimum frontages as well. Whats the zoning?

3. Martinez22

Zoning is now r20/40

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

What are the conditions in order for you to qualify for the higher R40 zoning?

5. Martinez22

I would have no clue :S whole suburb has been rezoned, where would I find out this information?

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

The local planning scheme for your council. Then look for a section that explains how to qualify for the higher density.

Its usually called a split density or dual coded density policy/clause.

7. Martinez22

(i)

Inserting a new clause 4.5.4, 4.5.5 and 4.5.6 as follows: "4.5.4 Split Density Code – Development

Where a split residential density code is depicted on the Scheme Maps, any development shall conform to the lower density code applicable to the lot, unless the Council determines that development up to the higher density code would comply with the following requirements:

1. a) Sufficient capacity exists in all necessary public utility services to adequately meet the needs of the development;

2. b) The development has one consolidated vehicular access point with reciprocal access rights to serve all dwellings, and restricted vehicular access to other areas of road frontage;
    1. 4.5.5 Split Density Code – Subdivision
      1. a) Subdivision of land with a split residential density code should not result in the need for additional crossovers to those already available to the development site.

2. b) In respect of applications for subdivision of land with a split residential density code, Council should recommend that:
        1. A right of carriageway easement is established between the lots created to ensure that development has one consolidated vehicle access point; and

2. A restrictive covenant is placed on the certificate(s) of title preventing vehicle access from the remainder of the lot(s).

8. Martinez22

Its the wanneroo/girrawheen planning scheme. This will be my first subdivision

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what is the size of frontage?

10. sanj

sounds like you won't be allowed to since you would need an additional crossover. I also don't think girawheen can really support 2 storey developments atm but I could be wrong

11. Martinez22

Not sure, how can i find out the exact frontage size? Is there a website/tool to check?

I'm hoping to split the land down the middle vertically to create two narrow lots. A family friend did this succesfully in Adelaide but not sure if it can be done in WA. The land is in Wanneroo

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The issue would be that you are only allowed one crossover = driveway as part of the deal to get the R40 part of the equation.
    R20 means you need 10m frontage and 350sqm minimum and 450sqm average over the 2 blocks so you'd need 900sqm.
    R40 doesn't have a minimum frontage and requires 180 minimum and 220 average sized blocks
    So you meet the size requirements for R40 but you can only have one crossover/driveway and if you want to do side by side then you'd need 2 driveways.

Martinez22 likes this.
  13. sanj

Im hoping to have Jessica alba cook me breakfast in just an apron but hope is not relevant.

like I said above, it doesn't sound like you will be able to at first glance. read 2b that you posted above; if you want to do 2 side by side then you need 2 crossovers which will not be allowed.

MTR and Martinez22 like this.
  14. Martinez22

D
    Dammit :( sorry didnt understand the crossover clause, but thanks for the feedback !

sanj likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think you purchased this property 2 years ago? If so, the numbers just wont stack up in Girrawheen at the moment, because end values for this area are too low.

Maybe I am making a huge assumption, but we went down this road with another poster on PC who has an IP in Girrawheen and went through various scenarios

mtr

16. Martinez22

Yes that's right but I'm leaving the Girrawheen house alone for now. I have another one in Wanneroo which I'd like to work on first, any chance you can appeal to the council for another cross over or will this be a straight out rejection? Haha i get carried away with ideas

17. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

At R40: Why can you have one large crossover in the middle that will service both properties?
    At R20 : Why cant you split block down the middle with 355sqm lot sizes which is greater than the min lot size. No CP means you dont need to meet the average site area i thought.? @Westminster @Aaron Sice @sanj

Martinez22 likes this.
  18. Martinez22

Anyone know whether you can have the crossover in the middle?

19. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Best to call the council and ask to speak to someone in planning. Please post the answer if you get it . Thanks

dmo and Perthguy like this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Legally possible using rights of carriageway. However, this solution may not be acceptable to council. Another consideration is turning circles to enter/exit garages if needed. My mate bought a narrow block but council won't let him build what he wants to because there is not enough room to turn a car on the block. Lots of issues and while technically possible, it may not be practically able to be achieved.