Sub Development or dual occupancy advise

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Trope3, 5th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trope3

Trope3 New Member

Hi
    Iam newbie just joined and about to start my first project .I am wanting to build a three bedroom plus granny flat on the rear of my block in Launceston Tasmania.
    I hear I can subdivide or strata the block. However my question is
    Once I have planning building approval do I need to have the subdivision approved before building?
    Secondly if I can build before getting subdivision approved. Can I get the property rented if I have not gained the sub division approved?

I may be putting cart before horse......
    cost to sub divide in Tasmania anyone any idea?
    I suppose I can telephone Council tomorrow to ask, but getting mighty curious and highly desirous to get started with the project.
    I understand I can build one house on 325 sq meters in the area. My block is 859sqm. With existing house at front. So if I. Subdivide then theoretically I should be able to build one house with GF attached.

2. moshkipod

moshkipod Active Member

hey Trope3 , based on my exp. in property development these will be the steps i suggest you follow which will help you with your due diligence :
    1) Contact a local architect / draftsman - its important they have exp. in subdivision / strata in the council your property is in. Ask them based on council regulation the likelyhood of having this block subdivided.
    2) Draftsman / architect will will be the ones who will take care of doing the drawings based on your requirements and council regulations and submit to council the request for Subdivision permit.
    3) Only than and once you engage a builder - the builder will submit a Building permit to council to commence building.

To your point regarding starting to build before having a subdivision permit from council : You can do it but there is no guarantee that council will agree after that to subdivide the block which is the first step before applying to 2 titles -which means you will end up with 2 houses on 1 title and won't be able to sell them separately .
    Town planning council have many regulations related to subdivision not just block size . I.e number of carparks based on number of bedrooms , privacy , shadowing etc... hence i suggest you start with item #1.