Study or Bedroom - Minimum room size requirements?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Taku Ekanayake, 29th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

I do recall something about the min size being able to fit in a double bed and two 450mm x 450mm side tables?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Def fit that...but the side tables wouldn't be either side of the bed ;)

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Do people still buy double beds?

Queen size seems to be the standard now. Even kids seem to get king singles.
    Marg

4. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Late to the party on the original question but it may be of use to other people. My understanding is that the BCA requires 10% of the area of the room for natural light (can be from an adjoining room) and 5% of the area of the room for ventilation. For example, a standard 3m x 3m bedroom would require a window of at least 900mm where the window opens half way. I am not aware of any minimum size requirements.

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I was coming more from an angle of a prospective tenant's perception of whether they would think a 4.2x1.8 room was a possible 3rd 'bedroom', rather than 'guidelines' set down by xyz around min room sizes.

6. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I would call 4.2m x 1.8m a hallway not a bedroom. Min size for a bed room 3x3 still to small though a good size is 3.6x3.6m for ur average room.

7. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

We seem to have gone off track here a bit. The original post was closer to a technical question than a perception of acceptability from a tenant's position.

I have had cases where potential purchases of homes wanted to know if the bedroom size was "within the rules" so I suspect that some tenants may ask the same question for very small "bedrooms" or dodgy configurations (such as the long hallway, oops, basketballer custom bedroom :)

8. Duriankun

Duriankun Member

How does one get such cheap labour to split a room for $2k? Or am I missing the 'extra' on the normal splitting.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

10. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

People's thoughts on a 2.9m x 2.9m "bedroom?" Height would be legal.
    Seem legit? I can probably do it for $6k on my ppor which i will upgrade (sell and move) in 5 years

11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Smallish but OK, how does it relate to the overall house size and other bedrooms

12. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Hey guys, old post & good info. What`s about 2.4 x 3.6? The house is currently listed as a 3x2x2 + studio. I am planning to add a build-in to the studio which will make the liveable area 2.4 x 3 and call it a 4th bedroom. Can also reduce the hallway by 100mm from 1200 to 1100 and make the room 2.5 x 3.6 however I am not sure if it`s worth it, the hallway will be a bit squashed. The whole operation will cost around $5k. The house all up is 19sq. Thanks for the feedback.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The code refers to a range of factors that themelves refer to each other eg size of window relates to the area that is habitable etc. So adding a 300mm x 300mm window to a 1m x 1m "room" may not comply. Then there is furnishings, doorway and inwards opening etc.

Habitable Room Requirements is a great example