Study or Bedroom - Minimum room size requirements?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Taku Ekanayake, 29th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Take a long term view of this @Taku Ekanayake, if you come to sell this property down the track that extra $2k now could place your property as a genuine contender against other 4 bedroom homes.

If you save the $2k now your house may not break out of that 3 bed price bracket if it comes time to sell.

MattADL and Taku Ekanayake like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What is the market asking? Having 4 bedrooms is likely to be less attractive if you only have one bathroom or only limited living areas.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

True.

But when looking at a property, if the room is too small to fit in a bed, bedside table, desk and wardrobe (if no builtins) then it does not count as a bedroom as far as I am concerned. And I also lose faith in the agent for wasting my time.
    Marg

4. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

We recently subdivided a large bedroom to make 2 x rooms 2.45 x 3.6. The same size as what you have. We have found that we can fit a queen size bed ok (it's a little tight) and a 400 deep built in robe.

There is no min size for a room to be classed as a bedroom in accordance with the Building code which may influence resale..
    But I think the rental tenancy authority states a room must be at least 9sqm in area to comply with student accom. Although you're not interested in student accom, it can be a good guage as to what some consider an acceptable size room.

5. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much - just a little bit of extra work.

Thank you for the feedback @Xenia and @dabbler. I went up to Brissy today to check property and you're right . 3.0 x 3.6 is definitely the better option even if it will cost an extra $2k on top

Xenia likes this.
  6. Taku Ekanayake

Thanks for the feedback @vbplease.
    I also heard about this 9sqm rule also. I have opted for the more dearer option of turning it into 2 rooms both 3x3.6m

vbplease likes this.
  7. Taku Ekanayake

Very true. I went to see the property today, and opting for the extra $2K option. It will be worth while on the end I believe. Cheers

This is a very good point. I spoke to a HTW valuer yesterday and he also stated they will also take into consideration the total living space and base it on these factors also. If it's a really small house, to call it a 4br would be a tough argument.
    My property will have a designated living room, and dining room. But only 1 bath.

Thanks @Marg4000 for the feedback. I'm opting for the more expensive option because like you mentioned I think it is a tight squeeze to fit in standard bedroom furniture. Will be a more credible 4br

8. Chris White

Chris White Well-Known Member

I usually work off 3m x 3m as a minimum for a bedroom however, have seen smaller rooms passed as bedrooms.

For an extra $2k I would do it as 3m x 3.6m is a decent size. It would also be more appealing to tenants so likely more rent.

9. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Better than hitting a ceiling fan!

Chilliblue likes this.
  10. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I think your final call is a good one @Taku Ekanayake .
    I agree with @Chris White, I look for 3m x 3m, but in some cases will accept a 2.2 x 3. It all depends on other factors ie) if it's a teeny, tiny home, a 4th smaller room often is worse than a larger, more spacious 3 bedroom home.

I have found that values are pretty big on overall floor space. one of the reasons the measure it up when they do actual physical valuations.

11. Taku Ekanayake

Thanks @Lisa Parker- Buyers Agent for the feedback. It'll be interesting to see which way the valuers go - it's a relatively good sized home, however only has 1 bath. We'll find out in a few weeks time

Lisa Parker likes this.
  12. Lisa Parker

I just noticed my many typos. I was on the iPad. ;-)

You can also have your mortgage broker order a few for you usually without charge and choose the most favourable depending on what you are looking to do.

Recent valuation of mine came back with a $50k difference. I believe there are certain risks to be mindful of taking the highest valuation depending on what you are doing with the money and the potential you may have to sell at a time you haven't anticipated. (More of an issue at 90% LVR than 80% LVR depending on the value of the property). I am more cautious of going for the highest valuation as I have been caught out before when the market pulled back and I wanted to sell but would have had negative equity due to leveraging a high desk top val compared to the real value of the property.

13. Taku Ekanayake

Very good point @Lisa Parker- Buyers Agent. Unfortunately I have to go with a CBA valuation, because they are the only bank that accepts a minimum of one pay slip (I'm pretty sure). I'm about to start a new job next week, and plan to have the reval in March as soon as I receive my first payslip. However, if the val does come in a lot lower than expected, I may have to wait another month or two, to be able to approach other lenders, which is not an ideal scenario. I will be refinancing at 88%.
    Off the top of your head, do you know any other lenders that accept just one payslip (job is similar and in same industry)?

Lisa Parker likes this.
  14. Lisa Parker

No, sorry I do not. I am not a mortgage broker so I am not up on all the lenders policies. Sounds like you are on the right track knowing who to go through based on your circumstances though.

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Just resurrecting this thread for a quick question. Would a room with dimensions of 4.2 x 1.8m be way too small for a 'bedroom'? It's well lit which is one redeeming point.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

1.8m wide is pretty squishy... however the length of the room does compensate a little.
    I think as long as you style it as a bedroom, people will consider it a bedroom.
    Eg. single bed + study table...

It is pushing the boundary a little, but what do you have to lose?

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well its a rental property, so I won't be able to help them visualise it with a bed unless I furnish it (which I'm not going to do). Either way, I suppose an additional enclosed room won't go astray.

18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If its a currently a 3 bedder and enclosing something will make it 4, then i dont think its worth it.
    2 bedder to 3... yes.

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

its 2 to 3

20. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

I agree with this completely. I would say that you would more than see the 2K back if/when you decided to sell.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.