Study Nook or Pantry?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by joemjd9, 14th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which one adds more value to the property?

1. Study Nook with Smaller Pantry

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Larger Pantry with No Study Nook

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. joemjd9

joemjd9 Member

Hello all,

Do you thing a study nook with smaller pantry adds better value or a larger pantry with any study nook?

At the design, I am looking at if I go with the study nook I end up with a L shaped WIP instead of a larger U shaped WIP.
    . WIP.JPG Study nook.jpg WIP.JPG

The house is a 4 bedroom 2 Bath.

Your responses are appreciated.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Larger pantry. It already has 4 beds. There’ll be another corner somewhere if they want a desk. On the other hand, a big wip will impress whoever in the family cooks.

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Most study nooks I've seen are just done for the sake of saying the house has a study nook and are not very usable or practical. A pantry has much more practical appeal

highlighter, wylie, KayTea and 3 others like this.
  4. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

I’d go large pantry and look at setting it up as butlers pantry even eg. Power points in there, sink, work surface, space for dishwasher and microwave maybe. They are big here in the display homes and all the higher end houses I get to sticky beak in that are on the market. Is it for an IP or PPR?

SarahD, joemjd9 and WattleIdo like this.
  5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Pantry, pantry, pantry.
    I couldn't think of anything worse than studying in a nook.
    On the other hand, you could leave me in a large pantry for days!

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That is a tiny cramped living room.

Is this going to be a professional's home? Is it in a suburb where the typical resident is into hosting dinner parties or ordering take away? Is it in a high or low income area?

Given how small the floor plan is, I'd go smaller pantry plus desk. It looks a lot like the townhouse where my kids live - a crowded complex in a low SE suburb across the road from KFC and Subway.

Last edited: 14th May, 2018
    Stoffo and Kassy like this.
  7. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Good points @Angel, I didn’t pay attention to the room sizes lol...

8. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Angel is right. For a combined living dining I like 7m length for villas (!!) if this is a 4 x 2 then I'd probably want more.

I don't know the demographic or fancy pantsness of the area but I do like to see overheads in the kitchen.

With the pantry do try and add some bench area and then shelves above or one side full shelves from ground to ceiling and then a L of bench top for coffee machines, toasters etc etc

joemjd9 likes this.
  9. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

Definitely pantry. I don't find study nooks practical enough - lighting can be poor and there have been times it's so shallow you end up kicking the wall.

My friend decided to take out their ensuite for a walk in wardrobe - she really likes her clothes.
    Personal taste but I think the ensuite would've been a better appeal if it was 1 or the other.

Peter P and joemjd9 like this.
  10. joemjd9

joemjd9 Member

Hello Angel. Thank you for your reply. There is a separate living area, not noted in the picture I attached. And it is a 200m2 house overall. The typical resident I am sure wont be ordering takeaway everyday. Definately not a townhouse.

11. joemjd9

joemjd9 Member

thank you all for your comments and votes. Seems like a larger pantry is a no brainer :)

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it were me, I’d go wth the L-shaped pantry, but instead of a study nook I would add floor to ceiling cupboards with shelves, enclosed by doors, opening to the meals area.

You can never have too much general storage.
    Marg

SarahD and Joynz like this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Done properly, I like the study nook.

This leaves a 3/4 pantry the size of a corner pantry

If all the underbench in the kitchen are soft close draws, there is substantial storage.
    With a bulkhead above the study nook accessed from the now 3/4 pantry for extra storage.
    Even under the study bench could be recessed (you don't need full 600mm depth for chair/legs) with the pantry side having shallow draws/baskets/shelves (for VEGIMITE and all the other condiments that normally get lost at the back of a full depth shelf)

It also makes use of what would otherwise be a wasted corner on the dinning side.

Angel likes this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If it's a smaller house, I'd go for a larger kitchen. Opens Up the area.

wylie and Marg4000 like this.
  15. Cookie15

Cookie15 Active Member

I would vote pantry, as everyone loves plenty of storage. There will be somewhere else to stick a little desk if someone wants to I am sure.

16. CazMez

CazMez Member

Pantry! I do a lot of studying and most of it in a library, on the bed, on the couch, where the wifi reception is the strongest... AND NeveR IN A NOOK! The study nooks where I rent always end up being a junk mail table. It'll be better if they aren't there. And the one thing all my friends, especially the mommies and daddies who run the households, complain about is "I wish there was more pantry space!" Even bachelors want more pantry space for their cartons of whatever craft beer they find cheap.

No one ever says "I wish there was a study nook!"

Now, if you are saying a proper study room with Floor to ceiling and wall to wall library shelves (the kind with those mobile ladders... and done in rich stained oak..)... that's different...If I ever see a house with that, I will gladly pay a premium. But that's just me.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

As a parent and a teacher, I would like my kids to do their homework next to the dining room table rather than on it. I want to serve dinner at the same time they are asking me about their geography assignment. I dont want them to have to pack their stuff away so we can eat.

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I would have previously said larger pantry, but as a new parent facing the prospect of bub doing homework during family time, I'd now say a small study nook exactly like the one you pictured.

Excuse the MSPaint effort, but you would still have more than enough room for a U-shaped walk-in pantry.

Untitled.png

Additionally, by removing part or all of the wall indicated in blue, you'll allow a lot more natural light to enter the kitchen.

19. CazMez

CazMez Member

I think the last layout suggestion gives you a good option and options for whoever buys it off you. I will still like a larger pantry personally. I have seen a few and love them.

Suggestion for the small study nook:
    For the small study nook area can you have the Internet connection points there too? I think could end up working as the command central of the house with a chalkboard paint on the wall for the parents to write tasks on, a wireless network printer, a house for the the main base modem and maybe the shared laptop or computer so one can watch what the kids are surfing. Be good to have s central place for the modem and hide all the ugly cables. That has practical appeal and you still keep your walk in pantry.

20. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

Exactly, if someone wants a study, they'll use a bedroom, or at least will choose the location. Study nooks are mostly useless. They force you to choose your study location, and who can work in peace surrounded by kitchen noise or kids? I find them a huge turn off design-wise too, as they're rarely pleasing to the eye, and tend to be a huge ugly desk fixture you can't remove. I've even seen people use them as an awkward sort of display table and plonk the desk elsewhere. They're fine in a small apartment, but in a house a bigger pantry will be much more practical. Extra cupboards is another decent option (i.e. another linen/storage cupboard, as the pantry does look large). Butler's pantries are also all the rage. You could throw a small bench in there.

Joynz likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia