Studio as opposed to granny flat

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by deerdreamgirl, 9th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deerdreamgirl

    deerdreamgirl New Member

    8th Aug, 2016
    Hi all

    I'm looking at putting a studio in my backyard using a complying development, have never done anything like this before so am quite the novice, I'm hoping that some of the forum members can help me with some advise.
    1. I'm wondering if I can put a kitchen and bathroom in a studio or is it then considered a secondary dwelling and would have to be a granny flat approval. It will be for my kids to use with their friends and occasionally family members staying for a few days, I don't have a lot of room in my house so would rather they have cooking and bathroom facilities to use? I would prefer not to go the granny flat approval because of the 3m setback from the rear fence.
    2. What is the difference between using a private certifier and a council certifier(Sutherland Council) besides the cost, I was told $700 for the council certifier where it seems private certifiers are much more than this. TIA