Student Accommodation

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Jesse, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jesse

Jesse New Member

I run & operate 2 rooming houses used as student accommodation. Never had a vacancy, the demand is pretty good in Victoria. I think the demand will continue to rise, especially as the property prices at the current level. What are your thought's on student accommodation?

2. Iamnumber5

Iamnumber5 Well-Known Member

I think it's very lucrative if you have well position properties.

Many years ago (1996), I used to live in one of those accomodation in Balaclava consisting 5 large bedrooms. Each bedroom could accomodate 2-3 students. All bills included except Internet.

If I recall correctly, I paid $400 per month. It was constantly full.

3. Lars

Lars Member

Advantages of letting to students

• Typically, students are not overly fussy about having state-of-the-art accommodation. For many it might be their first rental and they’re more interested in being with their friends. Older properties with multiple rooms are ideal.
    • You can charge rent per room. Since there are often more tenants in a student let than there woudl be family members in a similar property, especially if you have converted a living area into another bedroom, you can expect high returns.
    • It is relatively easy to find tenants, particularly if you are close to a university campus!
    • Students move on, so you are not tied into any long-term contracts.
    • Generally, students are reliable tenants, easy-going and undemanding. And best of all there’s a new pool of them searching for accommodation every year. So, what’s not to like?

Disadvantages of student lettings

• Demand for privately let student housing is being affected by the rise of purpose built private student accommodation. Research your area thoroughly.
    • Bills for maintenance and repairs will probably be higher than usual but then you can offset this against the cost of not needing to provide expensive furniture and décor.
    • You should always have a guarantor as students generally can't provide credit references since they are coming from their family home.
    • You may have a few months where your property is vacant during the summer holidays until the new term starts, but many student landlords successfully insist on 12-month leases.
    • You might have to deal with noise complaints from neighbours or the local council if your tenants like to party.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.