Struggling to find tenants in Redcliffe

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Andrew Best, 28th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andrew Best

Andrew Best Active Member

I'm sure things do and will continue to change, but I don't think that discounts some of the lessons I've learned recently. Certainly a good statement about being hands-on though.

2. Andrew Best

Andrew Best Active Member

I've managed to secure a tenant at 390, who has been processed and is set to begin the lease from this Saturday.

All up it took 7 weeks to fill the vacancy - the original forms had it available from 28/4, and it will be tenanted as of 16/6.

Before I lament on mistakes and learnings, I have one more question:

Who in here goes 'the extra mile' to make new tenants feel welcome? Does anyone do gift hampers / anything else in the hopes of establishing a bit of initial rapport, or building a bit of mutual empathy, with the new occupants of your investment?

Tom Rivera likes this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

Why would you have empathy for a new tenant of your property unless it was a dump ? It is probably an exciting time for them.

Buying yourself a lottery ticket though.....that I can understand !

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, not trying to take anything away, just saying that you just keep learning even if been doing a long time.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Something that might be helpful but is low cost is a simple "welcome to xx Smith Street, Smithville" document that outlines
    - bin day
    - any instructions for the oven, dishwashers, air cons etc

Save a gift for when they have proven themselves - something small at Christmas like some movie tickets

MWI, Andrew Best, SarahD and 2 others like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We once provided a welcome package for a family who were new arrivals from another country. They were thrilled and they were the perfect tenants for several years. All our other tenants have been through it all before and knew how to find their way around the local suburb.

In another house that is not local to us, the tenants did some awesome gardening maintenance so we sent them a Gift card for a slab or two from Dan Murphys.

You really need to be careful and consider your demographic. A gift to a single lady might be considered creepy.

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Agree with Westminister, only provide a gift after the tenant proves themselves looking after the property, say after 6 moths or just before the year or before the lease is up or even better before renewal with increase.
    I have provided small gifts only to few that reciprocated, some looked after the hedges or gardens so I will supply a small plant as a thank you or pay for extra green bin, or movie tickets or nearby café voucher.
    It may also help before the lease renewal if you wish to increase a small rent or extend the lease period say to 18 or 24 months, that way they may feel they may receive something next time....? Doesn't always work but does make you human!
    Congratulations though and remember this is just a lesson to learn, next time you will know what to do, sometimes we need to manage our property managers!

8. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Keep a bit of professional distance. Do leave them a folder with how to use any appliances and contact details in case of any issues with the property e.g. the property manager.

If you must give a gift wait until they have been good tenants for a while.

9. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

I would only give a gift of appreciation if the tenant has proves themselves to be:
    1. Paying rent on time for a good track record
    2. Looking after the place and keeping it in good condition

My Murrumba Downs tenant has been doing exactly that for the last 2 years while I've bumped up $5 rent on each yearly renewal...so I felt they deserve a box of chocolate as token of appreciation for being a fantastic tenant. Never miss a rent and looks after the place like it's their own.

Now apparently the missus tenant has left the guy (dropped from the lease) but he is still willing to rent on...I hope it's not because of fighting over for the box of chocolate that's for sure! :eek:

Cheers,
    David

Tom Rivera likes this.