Structuring now and into the future.....

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by miximitosis, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. miximitosis

miximitosis Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Just looking for some tips to legally minimise tax (income tax, land tax etc) and protect our personal/investment assets in QLD.

How would you guys approach the following?.....

-My partner is self employed already as a sole trader....
    -I am about to become self employed in an industry which will require our assets to be protected
    -we currently don't have kids but will in the next few years.

We plan to acquire a substantial share/property portfolio with the aim to be financially free in approx 20 years.

I expect my income to be far lower than my partner the first year or two. Would a single family trust with both our business incomes flowing into it with a company trustee provide the best asset protection/tax effectiveness?

Also, going forward how should we buy shares/IP's? A separate trust straight away or maximise mine and the partners personal land tax threshold and then start buying in a trust?

Any advice would be much appreciated... As you can tell I'm quite new to this

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I cannot answer 'should I' type questions.

but the only way to have flexibility like you want is to use a discretionary trust. If set up properly it will provide good asset protection too.

Look at the downsides and look at the alternatives too.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Loads of factors may affect this:
    - You may have a future high income
    - Wife may / may not have kids and income may be affected
    - Where may all these IPs be ?? land tax issues ?

Blending IPs and business income through a trust / trusts may even by a Part IVA tax scheme concern if one of the target benefits of that structure is to offset passive rental income losses v's positive business income + especially if any is personal services income etc.

Ditto share trading may or may not be "business" income / passive / cap gains issue.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia