Structure to use to purchase potential development site

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by doubletoplei, 19th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. doubletoplei

doubletoplei Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Been looking to purchase a house with future development potential. Will probably be holding the site for 5-10 years before thinking about development. Not clear what financial situation I will be at in 10 years time, so may develop myself or sell the place to a developer.
    Just wondering what would be the optimal structure (capable of handling both sell or self develop situation and optimised for tax considerations) to organise the purchase, i.e. under what names, using trust/company?
    Many thanks for your comments.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Personal advice is a must in this case. You may or may not be able to claim any interest depending. Also financing could affect this. CGT or revenue basis for income tax is uncertain and could impact as might land tax or other costs. GST could also be a factor.
    Also personal situation eg income, spouse or age of kids, might this be a business use dev and involve others etc.

This question does get asked a lot and its like asking for a preferred paint colour. There is no one answer.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This is like saying I have a headache and want to know what medicine to take - it most cases it may be the common pain killer medicine but that won't be appropriate in all cases.

4. Redwood

Redwood Well-Known Member

Concur with the others - depends on strategy and end objectives....seek advice on your strategy now and in long term.

Cheers Ivan

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

See my recent posts on structuring developments - legal section.