Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

structural renovations to our rental

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Northy85, 6th Apr, 2016.

1. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Trying to get some advice. We are renting an appatment in Sydney and the managing agent has been really slack with getting back to us to sign a new lease. We have been on no contract for over 3 months now.

The landlord has been freaking out just recently about us not signing it and yesterday we found out that the whole unit block is getting extended and balconies added. We only found this out because of the paperwork they stick to the outside of the building. No phone calls, no mail/email. Obviously this will be a massive job and will take months. Are they required by law to put us up in a hotel when the back wall is cut off? Or because we "know" there is a development it is up to us to sort out living arangments during that time?

Cheers in advance.

2. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

How will that renovation affect you specifically, and how long for?

Also, if you're not on a fixed lease you're free to give notice.

3. Northy85

Hi DT, they will be cutting out the back wall of our second bedroom and putting a balcony in. Below our unit they will be doing similar but also adding an extra room. I don't know the time frame or anything yet as we are still waiting for an email back. However, we wouldn't be able to use that room for a while and potentially not use the bathroom as it is up that end too. I'm getting the feeling we might be dealing with a sneaky, greedy landlord here. He also wants an extra $50 per week rent too.

4. Paul@PFI

Paul@PFI Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Member

Dangerous approach for a landlord. A great way to have a matter end in a tribunal in your favour. Its probably material enough to permit a break of a lease after seeking guidance from the PM.

Northy85 likes this.
  5. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

If you won't be able to use that room or the bathroom while the works are being done, you'd be well within your rights to obtain a rental discount for the duration its unusable.

Whether you want to pursue this, or whether its worth pursuing, is a different matter.

Northy85 likes this.
  6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I would write requesting a please explain with regards to the attached information (being the flyer you sighted) to the person that you pay rent.

Ask that you require what is to occur to your tenancy whilst works are to occur and that answer is requested with seven days.

That way at least you may have some direction as to how the landlord plans of dealing with the situation.

Also contact your stated Department of Fair Trading and have a clear understanding what your rights are.

Northy85 and bob shovel like this.
  7. Northy85

Thanks guys. I will be getting in touch with the landlord soon as he and his PM have both been dodgy by the sounds of it.

It's a good lesson on what not to do I suppose.