Structural issue. Please guide!!

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Brad England, 25th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brad England

Brad England Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Got building and pest inspection on my investment property. This is 13 years old property. Should I be concerned about below issue for the building inspection report. Please check the attachment image.

Ceiling Trusses are sagging possible structural issue, one truss is causing damage. Contact structural engineer for recommendations and advice

Attached Files:

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

If it’s just that. Then I wouldn’t be concerned of the first photo. Looks minor to me. Second one. Depends if there is demage to the structure around that spot. Like cracks etc. might be just bad workmanship.

3. Brad England

Brad England Well-Known Member

I emailed the building inspection report to a structural engineer. Below is his response. I have 2 days left before the contract to go unconditional.

The sagging trusses are indeed a significant concern, after reviewing the photos within the Building Report.
    Extracts from the report below, and these sags are definitely not normal. I have a feeling that rain water had entered the roof space through the cracked tiles and had saturated the insulation, which would have then made it heavier (i.e. additional loading for trusses to carry) hence the sagging. I’m slightly worried about what effect this would have on the walls also, especially when it wouldn’t have been designed for additional loading. Rectification wouldn’t be straight forward either. I recommend you consult with a builder and get pricing estimates for repairs, including survey to understand the actual deflection suffered by the trusses.