Structural Inspection - Melbourne

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Shaneo78, 27th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shaneo78

Shaneo78 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have made a successful offer on a property. In my building and pest inspection report, there was signs of the dreaded termites...

It was unclear to what the full extent of the damage is. The building inspector outlined that there is damage to some of the structural timber - But is unclear how much. He has suggested a structural inspection to be taken place to ascertain the full extent of the damage and estimated cost of repair.

Can anyone please recommend a quality structural inspection who can provide detailed analysis of the damage and estimation of repair costs? I am located in Melbourne.

As always - Really appreciate your responses.

Many thanks

Shane

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Just as an aside: What on earth are you paying a building inspector for, if he cannot be clear on the extent of termite damage?

3. Shaneo78

Good question. First time I have used the company - which was highly recommended by many users on this forum.

4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

1. Find a new building inspector for the future, they should be able to give a rough indication on what it might cost to fix. Ball park prices like 5k or 30k you really need do have a bit more of an idea.

2. Let the agent know there is termite damage found and that the building inspector recommends a structural engineer inspect & report. Have the vendor to pay for a structural engineer, so they financially committed to the transaction. This will save you additional cost too :)

If the vendor doesn't want to pay for a structural engineer you will be left with the following options;
    a) Pay for your own and not be able to negotiate
    b) Ask for enough reduction without the report to cover the risk and repairs (really need a ballpark from the building inspector)
    c) Get another inspector to inspect now (I would prefer to do (a) as you already know there is an issue.
    c) walk away
    d) proceed as is

My thought from what I have read would be number 2 (getting vendor to pay) or c) walk away.

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

To be fair, without literally pulling the plaster off the walls to see if any termite damage is present to the walls, they can't know for certain "precisely" how much damage there is.

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Some inspectors are not builders and so are not qualified to do invasive inspections and estimate extent of damage and its affect on the building.

An invasive inspection will involve test drilling and also a cctv wall cavity inspection in affected areas. This will require patching and repair afterwards.

willair and JacM like this.
  7. Shaneo78

The termite damage is above the ensuite. Any invasive inspection would involve removing of tiles ect. I had another builder go through the property today. He said it is just a damaged prop in the roof. The damage seems to be very localised. Unknown how much termite damage is in the walls. It is also a very low pitched roof, both inspectors had difficulty inspecting the entire roof area.

I guess it is just the risk factor of more damage in the walls/rest of the building from the termites.

Thanks for your responses!

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia