Stress and the simple life

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Tim86, 27th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

I can relate..... I was in this frame of mind about 4yrs ago. I felt spent & detached.

For some reason I felt like I needed to reconnect with the non material world... not like a hippy but more like rediscover my place in the natural order of the world.

I bought some small acreage, started rolling back on work then transitioned to P/T work for about 15 months & now I feel like perhaps I need another burst of busy.....

Sometimes we can burn out.... recognizing it before imploding & acting to rebalance can be quite liberating.

Phar Lap, ellejay, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I am only 32yo and I think life/time is getting away from me. There is so much I want to achieve but feel like time is running out.

3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Don't let the stress take over your life. I learnt the hard way and it is not a good feeling. You need to take a step back and relax a bit.

Sackie, WattleIdo and Tim86 like this.
  4. SaberX

SaberX Well-Known Member

I can see where you're coming from OP. Frankly - everyone here is all about wealth creation. If you love it as a hobby and live/breathe the thrill of doing property, shares, whatever it is then knock yourself out. There are many who view it as a business: hopefully profitable, and unfortunately stress and when things go wrong or the sheer scale of say a development takes it toll... I can understand why some such as yourself just want to disconnect.

Don't think there is a right or wrong. If that is what your body and mental state is telling you then by all means, do it. I think if you have a clear plan where you can scale backa nd be in a financial situation to upkeep and "plod" along as you said it the rest of your life, and love live while you do it - why not?!

Frankly, being a gen y I haven't hit 30s yet so I have a lot to go to get financially wealthy, and to me the main reason is the freedom that gives me. I am however quite aware of things that are slipping by. Facebook is a great reminder for this : when you see an "8 years ago" photo crop up and it's an university graduation photo, or important milestone you wonder how the hell did you grow up so fast? I am sure anyone who has made it into their 30s woke up one day and despite thinking they were 20 yesterday, have no idea how time went by so quickly.

Similarly I don't want that either, and I look at some who have thrown in their corporate job, gone to Canada, work in the mountains, and snowboard all day. And frankly I'm envious! Financially.. I'm probably working and likely to do better for the forseeable short term, but I guess there are some things you can't put a price on. Like when I crunched the numbers and realized I couldn't afford a few days in Perisher or Mt BUller this winter, even with the free flight over from Perth, due to the cost.

It's all a balancing act - if I was financially well off this wouldn't be an issue. But if I didn't have incoming nuptials or my home to pay off, I would have no mortgage stress or life. Back when you moved jobs you never had to worry about being out of work and not having the monthly mortgage to repay. SO yes.. can totally understand.

So strike a balance between working to earn money to be financially enabled to do what you love, and actually doing it.

ellejay, Gypsyblood, EN710 and 2 others like this.
  5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I can relate but I wouldn't be selling up everything because we need an income (I do)

I found that having a good holiday every year resets the clock.

I have been taking 2 months off every year but I intend to increase it
    because we want to do more traveling.

ellejay, Gypsyblood and Tim86 like this.
  6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Every day

Kat, WattleIdo, jim1964 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Not a fantasy, but i got to the point i hated having neighbours,and street lights,and road noise,this is my daily view now..bliss Finniss2.JPG

Snowball, fols, Biz and 16 others like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love this
    Vino

9. jim1964

jim1964 1941

BillV and MTR like this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol you wont get a job in the govt working on pensions and work related things will you

when I was 20, people retired at 55, I can't do that, and by the time I get to what they say, it will be stretched out even further.

Truth is, I will be always working on something while I am able.

BillV likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm desperate for some quiet time but can't see it happening soon.

Middle of a house building while living on site in a garage. Crew of 6 onsite at 6.30am.
    Hubby home for several weeks with a double hernia op - he's getting bored and annoying.
    Trying to catch up on a TAFE course, but keep falling further behind.
    New farm where the soils are terrible and needs clearing, so lots of improvement required.
    Just bought yet another tourist accommodation, so setting up website etc.
    Repairs on current tourist accommodation (that's why we got it cheap)

Would love a week - just me and the dogs chilling out

Gypsyblood, Tim86, Perthguy and 3 others like this.
  12. willister

willister Well-Known Member

It's pretty ironic but some of the best things in life really are free!! Some of the things which I did buy in life which cost a lot - either material goods or experiences were not really worth it. It was luxury, but somehow, it didn't feel right.

Even now, the best things and memories I ever have with my kids and even extended family are free or very very cheap.

Phar Lap, Propagate, Tim86 and 2 others like this.
  13. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying. Chilling and playing with my dogs or spending time with my wife is free but gives you a lot of enjoyment.

With that said though...my 25k swim spa is awesome. And having a beer while jets massage my back is pretty fricken amazing.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  14. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Hey, this post was a bit concerning.. How are you feeling now TMNT?

Joynz likes this.
  15. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

I have found that good company makes a world of difference. Shutting the Tv down, mobile left on charge, no distractions and having a long heart to heart stills time for me, let's me live in the moment and for it.
    People without great friends are the poorest. I have been rich and poor both in that regard and the impact mentally is enormous.

oracle, ellejay, Sackie and 3 others like this.
  16. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

We all need a reason to get out of bed in the morning.....and doing productive, positive things produces good stress.
    For many years I was trying to have around 8 months "work" and 4 months "off work" doing courses, travelling or building/renovation of a property.
    Was a good plan until I was approaching 60, so now I am doing 6 months "work" and 6 months doing other things.
    The other things seem to be piling up a bit.....so may have to devote more time to them.....;)

Gockie and Gypsyblood like this.
  17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I think for all investors they do experience some stress and the 'what if' scenario during their investment journey. Of course you have people in the forum who claim they did nothing extra and just worked 9 to 5 Monday to Friday to save their deposits and made no adjustments to their daily spending, but I think the honest ones are the people that needed to save every single cent, work additional hours and take on a 2nd job to cover more ground.

It certainty doesn't help the situation when you have money leaking out with constant maintenance issues, tenancy problems and people that's incompetent such as valuers, real estate agents, tradies, banks, accountants and etc. You sort of wonder if it was worth all the stress and whether it's just a giant ponzai scheme to keep people employed and losing all your hard earned. Maybe for some people, they think it would have been better to pay off their PPOR and have money saved up and have regular holidays.

Not many people can retire from investing in properties and as they say it's a long journey ahead of us but I am sure that it's worth it in the long run.

oracle, BillV and TMNT like this.
  18. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

This ^^^^^ exactly !

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Assuming you dont have a huge deposit to start with . Lets say 1m cash. Or have rich family or access to resources. Id say those that simply buy a property every couple of years in a relatively non blue chip area and in 20 years time have done super well is alittle bit of luck. And stars aligning.

I think for the most part most people have to scrounge for deposits . Do renos and make sacrifices to do well.

In fact about a year ago i met a lovely old couple. Whom i got chatting with told me their story.
    They said " do you know that street in glen waverly thats been rezoned as high density? We own the whole street nunbers 1 to 30"

They had been buying one per every couple of years since the 50s.

The equity must be mind boggling! But i wouldnt say they are aggresive or intelligent investors. Just right place right time and aliginging stars

Gockie likes this.
  20. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Update please ...