Stress and the simple life

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Tim86, 27th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Anyone else ever fantasize about selling up everything and escaping from the pressure of it all?

Its always go go go with everything...

Gets tiring.

2. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Went camping with some mates on the weekend.
    Almost died of boredom and device withdrawals immediately.
    I'll take the fast pace any and every day.

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Really?

I havent had things slow down to the point of boredom in years.

I would love some boredom right about now.

My old man is still subdividing properties one after another at his age. He is non-stop. Just cant slow down.

I feel like Im the opposite. After my house is done I just want to slow right down. No time to smell the roses the rate Im going. Ill wake up one day in my 70's wondering what the hell just happened at this rate.

Redwing, Phar Lap, WattleIdo and 7 others like this.
  4. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

No not at all actually I don't feel like this.

I try to do as much as I can physically...when that runs out...I work mentally. I am either working physically or mentally 24/7 bar sleep.

Given my age and what I know now...life is very short.

If you are 40 you have 30 good workable years

If you are 50 you have 20 good workable years

If you are 60 you have 10 good workable years....imo

Because once you reach a certain age so many unexpected illness can crop up.

Granted I am not writing anyone off at certain ages just saying for physical work.

But mentally you still can have the ability to work and you have so much more life experience.

So given this scenario that I worked out far to late.

Your life can go by fairly quickly and you can be left asking What Happened?

So I try and keep this in mind and stay in the moments and focussed.

I do understand what your saying though and perhaps prioritizing may help.

I started doing this two years ago when I was snowed under...I just picked the main items that couldn't be left undone...that was my guide...and I worked through my list like that. I just forgot about the rest I had to I couldn't do anymore...And you know what nothing much happened and life went on. Rather than stressing myself out.

Examples..

If a bill was not paid...I would receive a fine...so this had to be done.

If I don't plan the family meal...we will eat unhealthy and perhaps more costly than I would like....by going out for dinner/takeaway....etc..

Last edited: 27th Mar, 2017
    bamp and Tim86 like this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not at all. Probably because I take it easy most of the time. I am 9 months into a 6 month reno. In month 7, I started stressing a little for a couple of weeks. But I realised it was pointless so I have gone back to focussing on enjoying what we are doing and not imposing an artificial deadline.

What can you change in your life to make some room for downtime? I work hard and reno in my spare time but I always make time for down time.

Rest is good for that ;)

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I need forced disconnecting at times.

I had 7 days trekking in the Indian Himalaya last year. No wifi hotspots up there. Completely isolated compared to Everest region. The whole group was back on their devices as soon as we got back to the relative civilisation of Leh.

Completely worth it for views like this:

IMG_0485.JPG

Redwing, Terry_w, Gypsyblood and 21 others like this.
  7. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Deserved more than just a "Like" - very funny and my thoughts exactly!

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I look myself in the mirror and say, geez im getting old,

id like to think im very mentally strong, but sometimes the stress of daily life, compounded by the loss of a few relatives, really makes me want to chuck it all in and do something drastic

as to what? I have no idea

ive thought what would happen if I ended my life (dont worry, its just a hypothetical)
    ive thought what would happen if dedicated my life to a charity or a church or orphanage

if I chucked it all in and sat at home, id probably get bored or depressed (im not a mental expert)

im not in the best mindset at the moment, however ive been in worse situations and pulled through without any problems, however its been a while since this has happened, so maybe age and experience has me handling things differently

Phar Lap likes this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Life up here in Darwin isn't a bad compromise? Work is good. Paid well. Quick drive/walk home. Friends all 5 mins away. Fishing whenever you want.....way cheaper housing.. ..

This isn't just a Darwin thing... any of the regionals (100k+ people) should provide a better balance as long as you can find work.

Work is the catch.....and family...

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break after completing your project. Take time to do what you want to do. Take that holiday - the one you have been thinking about??

Sounds like your batteries need recharging!
    Marg

11. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might be a bit burnt out - take stock of what you are doing and how you spend you time. Need to re-balance things every few years.

bob shovel and WattleIdo like this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Thanks Greg.
    I'm building back into sprinting and getting conditioned to make my masters debut in the next 12-24 months, planning to be at absolute lifetime peak as soon as I tick over 45.
    The 400m is my new target goal.
    No time to slow down now, it's time to step it up.

Redwing and Perthguy like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi Tim

When I have too much stress in my life its crosses my mind, generally happens when I have bitten more than I can chew.

I guess today I could do nothing but the reality is I love the property game and it still will have its fair share of stresses from time to time.

Perhaps its time to take a break/holiday revitalise.

MTR:)

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

That's what scares Me the most to be honest

Turning around and realizing where all those years went.

My parents always used to say to me "you will never get back any second that passes you by"

That's why when I see a young 20s absolutely wasting their life away I'd like to tell them to not regret it.

Frankly my last 15 yrs has been a blur.

I've achieved a lot but it all seems like a blur

Phar Lap and Tim86 like this.
  15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_2017-03-28-12-58-08.png

I kind of feel like this guy right now.

Going after wealth is fine. But I think if you get in the habit of just go go go your whole life is going to be a blur where you were never actually present during any part of it.

I really want to be more present. But when you are constantly sacrificing the present for more $$$ what the hell are you doing with your life?

I think once Im done with my current projects... and there are a few. Thats it for me. Never going to buy another house. I can swing it at work where I will work 6 days on 8 days off every fortnight. Ill just work casually plodding away and the rest of the time relax and do enjoyable stuff. Ill still be able to pay off my houses over 30 years doing that and be self funded retired.

Its simple and I wont be super rich. But at least things will stop being a blur.

I fantasize about buying a boat. And you see the really expensive ones. But the catch is if you have enough money to buy one of those boats it means you dont have enough time to sail it because you are working so much to pay for the damn thing.

I think thats a good example for a need for balance. Be happy with less so that you can have the time to enjoy it more.

Ian87, ellejay, WattleIdo and 16 others like this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It's all about choices, nothing wrong with this, smell the roses today

Tim86 likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Tim86

Back in 2011 an SMH journo visited our church's outpost on Tikehau in French Polynesia.
    I love what he wrote on the last paragraph :D

A patch of Eden

The Y-man

Tim86 likes this.
  18. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

Mate, the 400m is the ultimate event, or at least that is how I found it. I had a love affair with this event the moment I had completed my first attempt at 14 years old - I won, my buttocks felt like they were in my shoulders, and the lactic acid build up was so intense as to be nigh on unfathomable. I couldn't wait to run my next one!

The writer below describes the event well:

Strategy: How to Run the 400m

The last Olympics 400m final was a thing of pure beauty ... leading the whole way from lane 8, and actually pulling away in the straight to win gold and crack the world record. Astonishing performance!

Cheers
    Greg

158 likes this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I find it interesting how some people. I used to know a CEO of a company, who is now worth something like $700million,obviously is set for life, still works harder than most people and he is probably in his late 50s, I would have long been retired

but then had you ask him, he had 1 year to live, would he stop or continue working??

or is it routine? or habit? or an obsession? or an addiction?

Phar Lap, Gypsyblood and Tim86 like this.
  20. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Sometimes the things we own, end up owning us.