Entertainment & Music Streets of your town ABC

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by bob shovel, 9th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@bob shovel well part 2 was interesting and frustrating in equal measures. It was a shame he didn't look at some of the great architect designed houses of today. But then he wouldn't because they are not "modernist". He took us into some surviving modernist homes but they just looked dated to me.

He did make valid points about modern mcmansions though. Why on earth would anyone want to build a giant house with a room they never use? Absurd. I also think he overgeneralised about everybody wanting to flaunt whatever by buying or building gigantic monstrosities and driving fancy cars. It is a narrow and edited version of the truth. Partisan hack! :D

For example I am happy sharing a modest house on a small block in the 'burbs. Although, I must confess it was architect designed. :) This architect was a genius with space. Everything is here and no floor space is wasted. It's great! And I love living here. But Rosso wouldn't come and talk to me because it's not "modernist". The documentary was named wrong. It's not streets of your town, it should have been called A Modernist love affair. I found it unbalanced. Rosso only likes Modernist Architecture and rubbishes everything else. I think that is rubbish.

I did like that block of flats though :p

Joshwaaaa, bashworth and bob shovel like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Perthguy
    I thought that to, it wasn't so much a documentary but more a personal attack on the mcmansion buyers of recent times and also an attack on the home designers. Which i don't see as a bad thing! Hopefully his underlying plan was to get people thinking and help guide society away from that mcmansion way of thinking, id like to think it's happening but then I'm not sure as there are still massive land releases with 90%of the block cramming on a building.

You can't just propose a sensible balanced opinion or idea these days you have to go extremist to hope that half of what you're saying sinks in:p

Was he also saying that the old designers are coming back out and building again?(i missed that bit) Or was that a one off job? The roof comparison was interesting, I've never understood why today's roof's need to be so complicated... who's up there looking!?

Perthguy and bashworth like this.
  3. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

The fact that he couldn't get over being a modernist 'fanboy' spoiled what could have been a great program.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. bob shovel

5. bob shovel

The blurb for last night's show :

"By the '80s Australia began turning its back on Modernism. And by the time 'Kath & Kim' hit our screens we were building the largest homes in the world, but Tim Ross believes there's a Modernist revival in the air. (Final)"

6. Perthguy

@bob shovel I do understand his point that in the past we had affordable architect designed project homes built in the modernist style. They were cheap, small and practical and did have a distinct style. Now we (generally) build unaffordable large fortress like houses that don't have a distinct style (IMO). But modernist houses are cramped and impractical by our standards. However there are elements of the modernist style that could translate really well to what people want now: integration with an outdoor area and large windows letting in light for example. Surely we could develop a unique style that draws on modernist traditions of the past but adapts them and updates them to something for useful and practical for today's market. Some kind of post-modernist architectural style if you will ;)

bob shovel likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Hmmm. Inspired to try and achieve a good but cost-effective design if I manage to execute a development. Need to make up for my McSins.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. bob shovel

We better sharpen our pencils and start taking orders! ;)

Need to take a mcmansion and lose the excess..... actually scrap that we'll start fresh! :)
    Take the old styles and just increase the bedrooms by 20%. 4x2 is plenty with open plan living dining overlooking the back yard and outside dining. Throw in a study nook or computer area. One level bush shack with lots of tin and reverse brick veneer and big sensible windows :)

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Perthguy

Definitely scrap that!

My parents are building a variation of this house in Adelaide.

Hamilton – Oakford Homes

I don't think it would be too hard to tweak the floor plan to make it more practical and simplify the roof line. You could also add some big windows to make the kitchen/meals/family less dark! I think the biggest problem is the façade. It is so bland and unimaginative. I also don't like those cutesy windows at the front. Give me some light and style!

10. bob shovel

They seem very much automated in the design and way they're spat out, just punch in your qtys for rooms required and the computer just tacks them together to fit in the block. With your link it's open plan but more like three boxes joined together.
    To much copy and paste kids activities

And what is with those windows! Noticed them in wa to. I'm assuming something to do with brick builds(?), smaller widths = smaller lintels plus easier to get to the minimum quota of natural light rather than different sized windows just have them all 2m x 1m and throw them in to meet requirements.

Getting rid of the mcmansions for something more practical and nice week probably cost the same but a much better quality design.

"If mcmansions were cars no one would buy them" i thought that was good :D
    Here's an extra bit of footage with alaine the philosopher
    Streets Of Your Town Extras - Episode 2 Alain De Boton : ABC iview

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

you mean something like this:

The My Ideal House Floor Plan Revealed!

Or what we're building - 3 large bedrooms (that can double for personal hang out space) - one large open plan living area - office for those, like me, who work from home ... and that's about it.

Have never understood "formal" areas - dining or living

bob shovel likes this.
  12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I watched episode 1. not sure if I would watch episode 2. I share some of Perthguys sentiments.

13. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Somewhat more challenging. This site is under 500sqm and I'd like to put 3 or 4 townhouses on it. Zoning would also allow a unit block.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. Perthguy

@bob shovel I think it would not be hard to fix the oakford home. I inspected it when I was in Adelaide. It was a lot nicer inside than you would expect from the floor plan. It was close, just a bit dark. I did not like that facade though. Not. One. Bit.

Still, it was a lot nicer than these monstrosities

Architecture blogger explains why McMansions are terrible

bob shovel likes this.
  15. Perthguy

It's worth watching. Just be prepared to be annoyed and also be aware you will not see any examples of contemporary architecture. Apparently architects aren't designing houses anymore :rolleyes:

It did have a great apartment block though. I appreciated that

16. larrylarry

The view was good on 25the floor but does it mean all residents have to do their laundry IP there?

17. Perthguy

I was thinking of the Torbreck Home Units in Brisbane in episode 2. I think the 25th floor Laundromat was in episode 1?

Anyway, this is the building I liked because the apartments are bigger, a nicer design and it has lots of common areas for residents to use.

[​IMG]

There is a case study on the home units here. It's interesting that this is a climate responsive design incorporating passive climatic features. These are concepts that have been long since abandoned in mainstream design and building. It is only relatively recently that people have started talking about these concepts again.

http://www.torbreck.net.au/wp-conte...for-Subtropical-Design_Charmaine-Kai_2005.pdf

18. larrylarry

Yes, I was referring to Episode 1.

19. Perthguy

I thought that Laundromat with that view was wasteful. Imagine how much an apartment would be worth with that view! :D

Colin Rice and larrylarry like this.
  20. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I liked the show but I am easily amused and watch TV to stop thinking rather than stimulate it, unlike ole mate @Perthguy who had some well balanced points admittedly.

bob shovel likes this.