QLD Strathpine / Clontarf

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Carlos86, 2nd Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Carlos86

Carlos86 Member

My name is Carlos and this is my first post. There is tons of information in this forum but more importantly it seems some members have a wealth of knowledge.

I’m a 35 year old accountant, single and own 2 houses (Sydney and Brisbane). My PPOR is in Brisbane.

After speaking to my broker I’ve become aware that I can purchase another property for up to 650k.

I’ve narrowed down two suburbs in Brisbane: Strathpine and Clontarf. My preference would be Clontarf as it’s close to the water. However I’ve read only good things about Strathpine.

Which suburb would you think will deliver better capital growth? I’m only interested in standalone houses.

Lastly I’m a bit confused with the definition of investment grade property. I assume being these two suburbs more than 20 km from the CBD is not ideal?

2. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Dunno about Clontarf as I don't pay close attention to that but Strathpine is pretty hot right now along with most of the northside suburbs.

To be honest with you I'd rather buy in Bald Hills. Its a much nicer suburb than Strathpine to me and even Bracken Ridge is better. They are all around the same pocket and in similar price ranges as well.

$650k should squeeze you in there for a very basic old 3 bedder that needs a bit of TLC

Something like this one I guess.
    https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-strathpine-137716442

I think Bald Hills $650k would be very tight. This one went for $633 for basic 3 bed but that was back in Nov so prices have increased around 3% in December so possibly still doable

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-qld-bald+hills-137156258

The Artisan likes this.
  3. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Whos telling you that rubbish? LOL - places way way way further out than that are making ppl millionaires. Just check out Kallangur and Petrie and even further up towards Deception Bay prices are insane.

20km is nothing and its prime distance for FHBs and their affordability. I live in Castle Hill which is 35km+ from the Sydney CBD. Houses here are all $2.5M-$3M+. Some ego minded ppl are calling this place middle ring now. LOL

4. Closet

Closet Well-Known Member

If you look around the 1.5km square just over the bridge in clontarf you will see the potential. Whilst strathpine is good too this area is something special imo. Definitely have a good drive around both areas though to.see the pros and cons as they are quite different.

gman65 likes this.
  5. Czechia

Czechia Well-Known Member

Check Margate and Woody Point as well. Walking distance to the water if you can. It will get you an old house but some are with decent land.

TheRons likes this.
  6. Mark202

Mark202 Well-Known Member

My buyer’s agent bought me a property off market in Strathpine this year. He seemed pretty bullish on that general area over the next 10-20 years and should benefit from the ripple effect over the next 12 months. Another buyer’s agent was also interested. It’s obviously not an inner ring high growth suburb but you can get a 4%+ yield which makes it easier to hold. Not sure you can go wrong with the Redcliffe peninsular either.

Median price in November ‘21 was $571k so $650K should still get you something on a decent block of land.

Rambo likes this.
  7. Mark202

Mark202 Well-Known Member

Listen to the first 20 episodes of the property couch podcast before buying anything. You will learn what you need to know about investment grade properties. It’s not about distance from the CBD. But at the same time you also don’t want to buy something 40km out surrounded by farmland that can be developed.

TheRons likes this.
  8. DavidInvestment

DavidInvestment Active Member

My thought - If you can afford then definitely go for inner city 20 km from cbd. These inner city suburbs are always a hit. They will surely appreciate and give you a capital growth and easy to rent.

Outer suburbs are now performing good post covid and not sure if this trend will continue.. Sthrapthine is good..

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I own in both....Clontarf/Strathpine have gone nuts...you will need 650k for anything decent. Some places in Clontarf (newer) are exceeding $1m even on 400sqm blocks. If you can get a crapper know it down in Clontarf you could make some serious coin....

Strathpine still have stuff under 500k...just .....

Buena surte...

Superwin likes this.