Strategy 600-700k house Melbourne: what are your favourite suburbs and why?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by couq, 4th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Great to see the property chat going strong and good also to see familiar faces.

With the help of Somersoft back in the day my Reservoir house has done well and am at the stage again to look for a further investment. Price range up to 700000 Strategy is CG, on a developable site (580 plus) and hold for 5+ years. Looking at Melbourne but open to ideas.

From the list below what are your favourite and why.

Heidelberg West
    Braybrook
    Sunshine
    Altona North (dont know if doable)
    Glenroy
    Noble Park
    Thomastown
    Frankston
    Hampton Park
    Boronia (dont know if doable)

Would be great to hear other options ans why. Melbourne growing is pleasing to see!

2. couq

couq Well-Known Member

To give my reasons for the suburbs:

Heidelberg west: close to million dollar suburbs and although still commision homes may undergo gentrifycation

Braybrook: close to city and still sizable blocks

Sunshine: going hot and will also continue to chane. Good transport links

Altona north: close to city and beaches. May be too expensive and out of price bracket.

Glenroy: good transport links and quick freeway to city

Noble park: knock on from east expansion. New train infrastructure. Cant afford springvale or clayton

Thomastown: north is booming and reseevoir preston knock on effect heading out here. Great transport but drive to city tough.

Frankston: beach lifestyle and may be undervalued. Transport (dont know if expr3ss trains still going)

Hampton park: any area which is also getting busy

Boronia: busy area and outer east booming and popular with family

I am looking entirely at CG and can ride out some poor yield for long term gain! Thanks guys

3. Mitch15

Mitch15 Active Member

I can't comment on all of these suburbs, but in my opinion Glenroy is a prime candidate for growth.

The CBD is only a 25 minute commute on the train (Craigieburn line is reliable - i catch it everyday), and it is close enough to the country for people who want to escape for a weekend.

It seems everyday more and more people get on the train at Glenroy to go to work, so i think it is attracting professionals to the area who have been priced out of suburbs like Pascoe Vale, Essendon etc.

Personally i think the east side of Pascoe Vale road closer to Oak Park/Pascoe Vale is the best area, depending on where you buy you can also be close to the Upfield train line (not as reliable but still a quick trip to the CBD).

4. ewly

ewly Member

Hi All,

I am at similar budget 600-700k-ish for my 1st IP as well, main focus on CG but also relying on reliable rental market and some rental yield to assist mortgage.

Would be interested to hear any suggestions. Cheers guys:)

5. erorxxx

erorxxx Well-Known Member

My pick will be outer eastern suburbs
    Croydon
    Croydon north
    Croydon hill
    Upwey
    Ferntree gully
    Boronia
    Chirnside park
    Lilydale
    Belgrave

Reason :
    - demand significantly higher than supply due to land contrains and not many houses for sale.
    - Good schools , public hospitals
    - Good transport train bus
    - Eastland just got revamp 2 years ago, westfield knox will follow
    - ripple effects from ringwood , ringwood east/north, Wantirna south
    - Asian buyers

Cons
    Yield could be very low in these area, having said that I just secured property in upwey with 4% yield

6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Agreed with @Mitch15 , I've been in Hadfield for three years now(west of Glenroy but same postcode) and prices have been flying lately. Seems like a lot of developer activity on the ground though so I think you'll be bidding against that sort of competition. Most 3 bedders on 600sqm are fetching figures within your budget and anything with a larger piece if land is hitting mid 700s.