Strategy - 500K - 30y.o Sydney

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JD1, 30th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JD1

JD1 Member

Hi,

Love to hear your thoughts

Single
    Income: 120K
    No kids
    Savings 500K cash
    No rent

Thoughts on small scale developments (duplex-triplex). It would appear to scale or build a portfolio (in any eastern states) with property or developments is getting trickier than previously, tighter servicing conditions etc

Would you only purchase positively geared, sacrificing capital growth (you can have both yield and CG..) strategies that have worked for you that can be replicated

Keen on hearing your ideas!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Goals and experience with development?

3. JD1

JD1 Member

Only turn key packages, personally, no builders licence.

Goals, ideally 1) short term: to develop propeties with good yield, CG (+ depreciation to help),

2) mid term: extract equity and do similar project again, holding the properties built

3) long term ambition: build until all portfolio (covered in term of repayments) with 50-70K on top passive income

4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Have you ran any numbers on potential Development sites, back of envelope to see if they stack up?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  5. David R Sutantyo

David R Sutantyo Well-Known Member

You seem to know where you want to go already, which seems realistic also. Don't think there's anything wrong with turnkey when the research and due diligence is done right. It's just a matter of having a good team behind you.

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Great position to be in overall, well done.
    The $500K sitting in cash probably not the best use of the funds, have you considered other asset classes, Shares/ETF's etc?
    How much of the $500K would you be comfortable sinking into a property development project? All?

7. JD1

JD1 Member

Indeed I have, however the main issue is determining if the project fits in the parameters of previously stated goals.

For e.g. Sydney Metro, site 1.1m - build 1mil - Triplex. Each returning 620 p.w (plus depreciation benefits). On those #s alone, I am unsure if the yield + depreciation is sufficient, to meet medium-long term goals. The numbers in this example incl. Stamp, c.c, demo, medium-high quality finishes

8. JD1

JD1 Member

Appreciated, Thank you.

Yes agreed, a good team would be very much needed

9. JD1

JD1 Member

Thank you kindly,

I'm very much open to various ideas of most investment forms. I'm not too experienced with taxation and shares for e.g. would very much consider a balanced portfolio if it would meet the med-longer term goals.

Yes, I am comfortable to give it all a go, as long as the fundamentals are of course relatively there.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-known cafe bum of the East Premium Member

Why don't you sell some stock, realise the profits, and put it back into the business to do more deals. You dont have to keep everything.

11. JD1

JD1 Member

Thank you, that is also a good option, as the numbers on holding all isn't so great. I.e to move onto the next project.

I'll do the numbers again on selling part stock, to see if that would allow for more deals i.e finance/broker

12. Sackie

If the rental yields after developing plus depreciation aren't at least neutral, then I can't imagine how the deal would stack up in the first place .

13. Tofubiscuit

Tofubiscuit Well-Known Member

What net rental yield do you think you will achieve in the next 5 years and annual capital growth.

Compared that to alternative assets and risk associated. For example, an ASX ETF will return about 5% gross dividend yield and you can take a view on what the annual capital growth may be on that. Buying a portfolio of ETF will have less risk initially (no build risk and generate income straightaway).

Of course, if you compare different asset classes and your development site / build still comes on top then its a winner.

TB

14. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

You have made 500K at 30 years of age and you need advice?:)
    I suggest you should give US advice....

i'd say keep on doing what you are doing ...(sorry couldn't help it!):p

15. JD1

JD1 Member

Agreed. Based on previous example, numbers are good to come out positive/at least neutral, the hurdle is meeting the mid-long term goals.

As you've kindly suggested, the sale of some stock , will free up some equity to be unlocked. I'll be needing to sit down with either a broker? To build a form of finance strategy, to see if it'll be possible to meet those goals:)

16. JD1

JD1 Member

Thank you, seems like a wise strategy to weigh up
    I.e. Risk - taxation implications

17. JD1

JD1 Member

Haha me advice?! Too kind. Hopefully this thread assists helps us all in some way :)

18. Sackie

If you can do strategize with a good broker who also invests then it would be quite beneficial.

19. JD1

JD1 Member

Great!

I'd love to hear more suggestions and/or recommendations from you all!

It seems that the levelling out of property price rises hasn’t deterred celebrities from investment properties. Nicole has bought her fifth apartment in a complex in Milsons Point in Sydney. This article explains why she may have done that.