Strategies Developers/Investors use to reduce Tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MTR, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What are you doing to reduce tax?

I have sold most of my developments/projects over the last 2 years, unfortunately my third partner is ATO. Nice making money, but not so nice when ATO is taking a bite at both ends.

One tip is buying in a Trust and distributing, have children at Uni, so this can save big $.
    Here is a link may find interesting?
    The benefits of family trusts and how they can minimise tax and help transfer wealth between the generations

Use Margin Scheme

Currently looking at other options, anyone want to share their tips.
    I know terryw has posted quite a few tips, so apologies if some topics have already been mentioned.

MTR:)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The best way to save tax is to divert income from higher tax payers to lower tax payers in the family group - including companies. This can be done very well with discretionary trusts but there are also other ways.

MTR likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

1, Structure
    2. Knowing how to correctly account for all dev costs
    3. Claiming correct amounts of GST when allowed
    4. Using margin scheme when allowed
    5. Good advisers - Finance, development and tax
    6. Not buying land from a land developer to build on. That mistake can smash profit by 20%
    7. Building on time. Delays cost $
    8. Use a local town planner to max potential for site

Too often new devs fail to allow for all the costs and the projected profit target is just unrealistic.

Westminster and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

A few more tips that are working for us, and of course everyone needs to discuss with their accountant as to whether it will work for them.

I have 4 townhouses all sold, however I am going vary the settlement contracts/dates, 2 sold townhouses in this financial year and 2 in the next financial.

Paying interest in advanced to reduce tax. (I am not a fan of this one, but have used it)

Distribute from the trust $35,000 pa each into your SMSF

MTR

5. Terry_w

47% tax here potentially - non arms length income.

6. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Timing, as you mention above. Arrange settlement dates accross different tax years.

Aside from what is mentioned above there are no magic tricks that can eliminate your tax.

MTR likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There may be others, but this would also have to do with setting up companies that act as project managers, I am new to this one and not sure how it would work effectively. This is a work in progress for me.

9. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I am looking into this. I own a larger property i hope to subdivide into 8 lots. My wife does not have any other income and will be project managing it all for me. I know the ATO dont like payments between spouses but this is a legitimate situation where my qualified wife is managing the development which i own solely in my name. I work full time so cannot manage it myself.

10. Terry_w

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hefty donations to political parties, charities & school building funds all attract 100% deductibility

Attendance at relevant conferences OS

MTR likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

A distribution to a SMSF form a trust is NOT wise. It is non-arms length income and subject of a taxpayer alert. However you could make a concessional or non-concessional contribution personally. A concessional contribution could be tax effective. The trust does not claim a deduction for a contribution but may finance the payment.

MTR and sanj like this.
  13. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

have you received advice on this? having them settle in 2 different financial years in not going to help, your tax liability occurs in the year the contract of sale was done, not settlement. in this case all 4 will be part of your FY1516 figures.

From ATO - Timing of a real estate CGT event | Australian Taxation Office

granted the above is for a CGT event and yours will not be subject to CGT but it highlights how the timing of the event is determined, in this case contract date and not settlement date.

effectively delaying your settlement will only result in additional holding costs and delaying the access to funds, there will be no tax benefit.

cant do 35k into super anymore either i believe.

MTR likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

15. Paul@PAS

So you part own it and pay her as she participates in the dev...It may be arms length but its very high risk. Its also possible its a property partnership and its 50/50 (since you have no partnership agreement in writing) and the legal title could be ignored. You wouldn't be first to get attacked on that one. Esp if you use joint borrowings.

16. sanj

not to ignore the inherent risk and the lack of flexibility with tax treatment down the road by undertaking a significant development in your personal name

17. Paul@PAS

Before 30 June 2017 and subject to taxpayers age you might. However depends too on contributions between 2007 and today if Libs win election.

18. sanj

so the recent super changes were an election pledge and not immediate changes? i was under the impression it was the latter, in particular when it came to max NCC allowed and it being retrospective.

19. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

The title and loan are all in my name. Wife will be managing the subdivision. This is a genuine situation not contrived for tax purpose. It doesnt seem right that i could not pay her a commercial rate for managing the subdivision for me. Unfortunately i am sure the ATO will see it as a way of distributing profit rather than a legitimate arrangement.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Received professional advice, Not so, if you are a developer operating a business, CGT on settlement.