Strata title properties and Building & Pest inspection

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Rajiv Srivastava, 14th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rajiv Srivastava

Rajiv Srivastava Active Member

Hi Property Experts,

In a strata title properties like townhouses and apartment units, the building insurance is covered by strata and they do pest & building inspections every year (assuming every strata company does),
    Is there a need of these inspections as part of purchase process?

In a standalone house, one must do it.

Thanks

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You want to risk it for 300 dollars? What if the building insurance isnt enough or issues arent covered by insurance (the flammable cladding thing comes to mind). You might be up for special levies.

Last edited: 14th Sep, 2018
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Most people when buying a strata property do get a strata report. It makes interesting reading (ok I'm easily amused), but I'd shudder to think of the number of times I've read strata reports where getting a pest report done annually is struck down at the AGM by a majority of votes, and not just once, but each and every year, which to me is insanity!

Getting a pest & building report on a strata property on the one unit being purchased does not seem to make a lot of sense when you, as part of the BC, are liable for a % of everyone's property. It would be cost prohibitive to get P&B done on each unit in the strata scheme, as the buyer of a single unit, so most rely on just getting the strata report. This should also mention if building consultants have been asked to quote on any repair work required.

qak likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A B&P for units/townhouses makes sense to pick up on the items which may/may not have been identified by the strata's b&p. Glazing, handrails, blind cords, appliances, sub-board, air-cond, fitout, floor coverings may not be picked up in an exterior inspection. Though some of these items may be covered by strata or included in the 10 year maintenance budget other areas are your responsibility and may require your intervention.

5. Fina09

Fina09 Member

If it’s a roof problem or damp on inside walls are they on strata?
    Specifically interested to know which parts are under strata work?

6. Scott No Mates

Generally speaking, if it is on common property eg walls, slab, roof then they are strata issues. However, the paint carpets etc within the premises are yours.

7. Fina09

Fina09 Member

are courtyard and frontyard covered by strata?
    In that case, if I just want to check strata uncovered area could you just any BPI who'll offer discounted rates? Would $340 be good enough for 3 bed 1 toilet?

8. Scott No Mates

• Are they on the title or exclusive use
    • What does they by-law granting exclusive use say about maintenance?
    • Fencing bounding common property will be treated differently to interallotment boundaries.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A strata report will cover B&P and review of the strata records for its unfunded levies and maintenance or even structural defects that are yet to be paid for by owners. Or deficiencies in funds. I have seen instances where these reports have indicated purchase is totally unviable and the structural defects are tens of thousands for every owner.