Strata plan unclear land area

Discussion in 'Development' started by Fina09, 23rd Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fina09

Fina09 Member

https://www.propertychat.com.au/community/media/screen-shot-2021-11-22-at-11-14-05-am.1730/full

The courtyard is outside the thick bold area of the lot of villa. Does it mean the courtyard isn't included in 276sqm?
    I'm very confused and strata manager couldn't clarify. The courtyard is fully fenced and isn't open to outsiders.

So, if I buy the property I'm buying excluding the courtyard? Strata manager said that part is not strata's responsibility rather owner's. Looks like it's govt property but just titled under the property to use.
    Please help me understand this.

Attached Files:

2. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

The courtyard is included by the use of vinculum (~). This symbol is used in surveying to link two (or more) separate parts of a lot. Parts of a lot linked by a vinculum are treated as one. In the context of a strata plan, two parts of a lot that are separated only by a common property wall are routinely linked by a vinculum. See attached example.

Attached Files:

Fina09, lixas4, bmc and 2 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not their role - they manage the legal obligations of the OC, it's for your solicitor to review the by-laws (or if it's on title it's on it is shown on the strata plan, which it is).

4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

@Fina09 if your lot is "19" on the screen shot it looks simple and doesn't indicate any other part lots.

The floor plan must show the base area of each cubic space of a strata lot. When there is more than one part to a strata lot (i.e. more than one cubic space), a total floor area must be shown in the main part of the strata lot.

The garage , Unit and the symbol (half-shaded circle) probably represents "courtyard", which will be shown in the legend on the floor plan.
    the thin dimensioned lines are are your lot boundaries and are typically shown perpendicular to a structure.

as @Dan L mentioned the areas that form part of your lot are linked with the use of a vinculum. total area 276m

Also I would be a bit concerned if a strata manager cannot interpret a simple strata plan.
    it would make it a bit hard to resolve any issues relating to some of the disputes quoted below.

The most common disputes within a strata community, are:
    Parking – 61%
    Breaking of by-laws – 59%
    Noise – 50%
    Rubbish – 41%

Repairs and maintenance of common property – 39%
    Renovations within an individual owner’s lot – 38%
    Use of common property – 36%

Pets – 35%
    Financial costs for owner’s corporation and owners – 33%
    Actions of the strata manager – 28%

Access to common property – 24%