strata plan process and lead times for registration (NSW)

Discussion in 'Development' started by jsmith, 16th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jsmith

jsmith New Member

hi all,

new user to the forum and great to find alot of information yet i'm still alluded but the whole strata process. i've bought an off the plan apartment which is finishing up construction soon with my current final sunset date end of November, 2020.

I've been trying to find out from the developer but speaking with the sales agent, they said it has been lodged. I've tried looking at NSWLRS but can't find anything under an SP and all i could find is the DP number. Upon my research i know that when an SP is created then you would see multiple titles per unit but i can't see any of that yet.

Also there needs to be some sort of approval from the council as well too? Just wondering i guess the whole process and how long would this take to have to "registered" (so that I can see it on the NSWLRS website).

Overall i've understand at a high level that the developer gets a surveyor to draft up a strata plan, sends to council to have this approved and then once council approves, then they can lodge it with NSWLRS and then it gets approved in 2-3 weeks time? is that the correct process or is there something more than that?

thanks all
    J

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Hi @jsmith

lodged with whom ?
    - council
    - private certifier
    - or bank (assuming its financed)
    - LRS

briefly and not site specific,

the Surveyor will need all the main structural components of the building completed before he can finalise the plan. Including By-Laws - Unit entitlement - any Easements - no encroachments etc etc. He must endorse a statement on the plan.

once he is satisfied he will send the final plan to Council or the Private Certifier. they will not sign their panel unless all conditions of the (strata subdivision) DA are completed, and a Final Occupation certificate is issued (this is where most hold ups are) there could be a number of minor things outstanding.

once all the components are completed and all signatures obtained, the documents are sent back to the Surveyor (typically) for lodgment.

then, LRS could be busy and you could wait possibly up to 6 weeks.

maybe check with council's online DA tracker to see where it is from their end.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. dbnsa

dbnsa Member

Hi all.

I’ve purchased an apartment off the plan in November last year and the strata plan was issued to LRS on 26/4.

The plan has been under requisition for the past month.

I’ve tried to contact the solicitor and surveyor. There’s been a few back and forths…which is absolutely frustrating.

the surveyor says corrections have to be made in stage 1 of the plan, hence the delay and also claims

does anyone know

(I) how long LRS takes to process plan registrations? What’s the maximum time for requisitions to be addressed?

(2) how far off is settlement?

7 months have gone by since I have signed the papers…

any advice is valued

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some strata matters drag on and on and on. Is the building subject to "certifier issues"? I know of one which stalled and it was a known cladding issue building. But NSW thinks its a secret. It can slow the strata registration and nobody will say anything. Hope thats not the case.

5. ParraEels

ParraEels Well-Known Member

You chack on lrs website for the daily program, they so some updates on their website. You need DP #, some lodgement info

6. dbnsa

dbnsa Member

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t think it’s a cladding issue. An interim OC has been issued.

I have checked the LRS website, but it does not provide any specific info or details.

people are already living there and paying rent to the vendor. Settlement just hasn’t occurred.

is there a guideline on the maximum time it can lie with LRS?

so close but yet so far.