Strata Management Silent 3rd Party

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Goosehead, 14th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

I have a small strata on a unit in Canberra. It is a two unit complex with the strata management as the third party for voting at the AGM. The owner of the second building has never made an attempt to attend, or made contact with the group for scheduled AGM's. I have raised a couple of building issues, but as the silent owner is unable to be contacted I have been informed I can't move ahead at this point. In theory a quorum has been reached, however the strata management insists he needs to contact the other owner. Is there anyway to move forward with this issue?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the strata manager gets a vote. There are just 2 unit holders - you & the other owner. I presume you both have the same 50/50 ownership in the complex? Therefore, I think unless you both agree, nothing gets done.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Propertunity - I thought that that the strata manager has a role as chair and provides guidance to the owners. I didn't think that they had a vote except for the proxies.

Propertunity likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's my understanding too. ;)

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Council or the managing agent for the other unit would have the contact details for the owner.

6. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how it works in other states, but in WA the strata manager works at the direction of the Council of Owners - key word being "owners". The do not have any voting rights unless they hold a proxy. You should ask to see their proxy form, and insist that building issues be addressed. You should put yourself forward as chairperson - the strata manager is unable to be part of the COO. If you're still not happy, take it to your local state administrative tribunal - strata managers should be working on behalf of ALL owners, not just one.

7. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I dont know much about Canberra, but like the others mentioned above, I dont think any Strata Manager has any voting right.
    Is it true it is only a 2-unit Complex? It'd be good if you can do away with the Strata.
    Do you live onsite, or nearly? And the other Owner, if they dont live onsite or nearby, the Strata Manager should have their contact details. If Levy is charged, what contact they used?
    Most Councils I know can provide some info of your Neighbour if you tell them the issue. Of if it is tenanted, they can provide details of the Property Manager.

The other thing is you probably dont need a physical meeting. Can you not submit a Motion via AGM/EGM, and list out your proposal and lobby for the Neighbour's support.

8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I'm fairly certain that when there's only 2 units involved, you don't actually need a strata corporation. The two owners simply need to work it out between themselves.

9. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I was under the impression the strata had a say, but it would seem incorrect. In this strata case, it is true there is minimal 'common area', and really there is minimal service they actually provide. I have approached moving away from the management, however the first owner of the property in front ended up a bit of a pain to work with and then sold. The new owner has never replied to any correspondence, or shown up to a meeting, ever. I am assuming she pays the levies, however the individual has never returned anything in regards to AGM. I live interstate and move regularly so I can't look after the place myself. As for the requests I have made, I want to split the water meter so I can charge the tenant excess, and consider fitting a solar power system. The first part can't happen without the others approval due to cost, and the second shouldn't really be of any concern to the other, however due to cosmetic and potential risk (potential insurance change etc.) I can't just fit a system.

10. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Take the lead, end/don't renew the strata managers contract, the only shared expense in a duplex generally is the strata insurance policy (think building & public liability insurance). You pay your half, pass the other owners details onto the insurer and they pay their half. At the end of the day, if they choose not to be involved, then you make all the decisions and simply send them the bill. If they pipe up and complain, ask them why they've been absent and advise them in future if they want a say to be available and present (ergo taking responsibility for themselves in this matter which they are apart of).

Dan Wood likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia