ACT Strata Management Issues

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Goosehead, 2nd Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Goosehead

Goosehead Well-Known Member

Hi guys, has anyone had an issue with strata management and needed to make a complaint? If so who did you complain to?

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

You mean an issue with your strata manager?

3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Have you brought the matter up with you building's Strata Committee and, if so, what was their response?

More background info would be more helpful.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Goosehead

There are a couple of issues with the Strata. I have repeatedly asked to put solar on the roof but it has never been voted on. My main concern is the walk up unit is above a shared garage and if there is no approval it could be a pain with insurance. Secondly the water main is shared so water bills can't be split between the two properties. I have been asking to have them separated for years but haven't got any traction. Lastly the strata company organised the insurance, however they only supply the one quote that happens to pay strata management a finding fee. I would like to know how much the rebate is and how much it would cost from another provider. So far insurance companies haven't been approachable for quotes as I am, I'm guessing, an owner not the strata management.

5. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

The executive committee (Canberra) directs the strata manager. Are you on the executive committee?

The EC can arrange its own insurance though the commission structure for the manager may offset starts management fees. It depends.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Goosehead - the roof is common property, it is not yours to deal with. Are you proposing a new by-law (requires 75% voting approval) granting you, your contractor etc access to the roof, maintaining the area, providing indemnity to the OC for any claims arising from the use of common property?

Separation of water supplies is much more costly than you'd believe. All good If there are individual feeds into each building but If they are all fed from a common supply running under a slab, the cost cannot be justified purely to recoup $150/quarter.

datto, Stoffo and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. Goosehead

@bunkai I guess you could say I am on the EC. There are only two owners, two properties in the strata and management don't have a vote. The other owner is very hard to contact and is at best a silent member. Pretty much everything that goes on is management discussing with me.

The roof is interesting. The 2nd property is freestanding and as such has its own roof, nothing to do with mine. The roof on my property covers my unit on the top floor and covers the single garage for my property and the double garage for the owner of the second property. The shared space is literally the meter or so between the garage door and the start of the government easement. i would have though it is actually my roof, as in there are two separate buildings separated by the 2nd owners backyard.

@ScottNoMates, yeah it is a difficult one, should have done it 10+ years ago and made it worth my while. I just think it is a more enticing purchase if the body corp fees are lower at the water is split into two meters allowing the water bill to be spit. Therefore it can be passed onto tenants, a double win. or if it in a owner occupier they are not paying for the water from the other house. as they have a garden and mine doesn't following the 60/40 split in the strata may not be as accurate as proposed. Many variables with that though which makes splitting the meter into two even more applicable.

8. Goosehead

The insurance is a pain. I have spoken to a couple of people but they don't want to deal with an individual, even if considered as part of the management for the strata.

9. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Maybe start with Home which I think was the direct spin off of CHU.

You may have more options as a class b development in Canberra with respect to insurance.... It has been a while since I looked at that though.

10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Regarding insurance, our strata presented two, I had gone to a broker and obtained my own quote, far cheaper (and no kick back to the strata manager:p).
    This has now gone through two years running :D
    Would have to read your management agreement first though.
    A strata of two is impossible to deal with if one party is silent :rolleyes:, as getting more than a 50% vote as required is near impossible :(
    Have a bath every night, wash your car every weekend, wash the building every month, maybe the increase in the bill will get their attention :p
    I would be tempted to get a quote for solar and have it installed, see if they notice, and if they do beg for forgiveness o_O
    Surely they can't ignor you forever ;)

11. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Yep, complained to the manager’s boss, who was just as incompetent. We decided to dismiss the company and go elsewhere.

Goosehead likes this.
  12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Only true fix for this is to purchase the other property !
    As @Shazz@ said, you could go to another management conpany, but again that would require a vote of 51% or more and you don't seem to be able to get that :(

Shazz@ likes this.
  13. Goosehead

Hi All, thanks for the responses. We had the annual meeting this week and looks like some of the issues will be dealt with. It is hard with the other owner never showing up to a meeting or answering the letters for the meeting. I have said we need a decision for the solar this meeting. Also I told the manager to get the cost of splitting the mains into two meters.

Interesting with the insurance. I noticed a couple of years ago that MGA was paying ACT Strata Management a rebate for the insurance. Also I noticed the insurance was always going up, a sure sign that the insurance broker is not looking at other products. Then the new manger let slip that the company has been bought out by the insurance company. Whittles is the management side and MGA the insurance side but they are in the same company structure. Last year the insurance was budgeted for $1500 and ended up being $1570. This year as "insurance always goes up" the budget has been $2000. This means the money in the holding account is going up and can't be accessed if I sell the property, currently there is just over $5000 sitting there doing nothing. This is part of the old sinking fund that is no longer allowed for small strata, and overestimating costs. With the only common property the front part of the driveway it is never used.

I received a quote from another insurance agency that came in at $1200. I have sent this on to the manager, but haven't heard anything back yet.