Strata Management Companies Parramatta

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by WattleIdo, 12th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

We're currently with NSW Strata but the quality of managers gets worse and worse each time someone leaves and is replaced. I know what's happening - the branch manager likes to take helpless ones under his wing. More concerned about their 'potential' than their actual abilities. More concerned with his staff than his customers.
    Last year we had a manager who left committee members out of emails and then didn't respond to others. Didn't affect me personally but other members were upset and complained to no avail - nothing was done.

This new one is almost laughable. He cc'd our neighbour into our emails, completely breaching our privacy and not giving us a chance to have a discussion. The neighbour wants to trim a tree and we were sent a whole lot of photos but we still don't know which one. Is it the 150 year old cedar or is it the 20 year old privet? He also didn't know that council approval is required in many situations. Plus, he started to get quotes before we'd agreed to anything. Most likely, it's the neighbours trees that need attention anyway.
    My main problem is the barrage of confusing and meaningless emails.
    And how difficult it is to get through to the branch manager. When complaints were made, he backed his new employee. But to me, this level of incompetence in anyone is just alarm bells and I want out.
    We need someone with local knowledge and a degree of common sense.
    Any good experiences?

Last edited: 12th Jan, 2018
  2. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

How many lots in your block?

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

We had a block with them (Strata NSW). I think perhaps each person might have had too many stratas to manage.

Ours was well managed imo but we had an older guy with a lot of experience as our manager. My strata was a big one - 72 individual units, and almost every week there was some issue - over the years there was a lift replaced, a burnt out car in the carpark (somehow the car got burnt out while it was parked there), our garage space isn't open to the public though, people getting cockatoos to visit and the cockatoos damaging the balconies, repeated automatic garage roller door issues, clogged up plumbing under my unit (I think a half dug up hole that was attempted might not have been fully resolved) and that also resulted in removing a whole lot of trees and re-landscaping, recurring bee issue in air vents (and requires someone to abseil to fix it since this building is 9 levels high), the apartment above me had concrete cancer, (very expensive to fix, they had to put a supporting structure in my apartment for a month and the unit above got fully redone - even a new kitchen), getting people to have their annual fire checks... list goes on....

I was on the committee for 2 or 3 years but gave up after that.

@WattleIdo... back to yours. I reckon if your manager is incompetent, move the management.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Wow, that sounds like a major headache. I'd love to give up on the committee but I just can't stand by and watch someone else stuff it up. It was so much easier when I was there - one year I was the only committee member.
    Anyway, since I posted I've spoken to both the branch manager and the regional manager and insisted on getting a new strata manager. They've all been to the site (including the regional manager) to work out which trees etc are involved.
    Definitely on the look out for a new company though. Do you still have that unit and if so, did you change to a different company?
    I know it's not an easy job but a degree of competence and common sense is an essential starting point.

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Thanks SNM for a recommendation via PM.