Strata insurance and damaged timber floors

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by funnybunny, 5th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

Hey guys
    Long time lurker first time poster,

So hail damaged my investment property and caused a lot of leaking through the ceiling and damaged the timber floor boards so they became pushed up.

The strata insurance fixed the roof said they will inspect the inside of the apartment. They inspected it and said initially the timber floors were not adhering to the strata laws. I bought the apartment with the timber floors already installed so I don't really have any documentation of who installed them etc?

They didn't give any further specifics, but seems like they trying to avoid paying out- i also have landlord insurance but obviously rather just go through strata (otherwise a premium needs to be paid),

I feel like they know that I dont have any receipt etc given i bought the property only a few years ago so they're trying to use it wasnt installed as per strata laws to avoid paying, any advice?

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The laminate floors were probably not run past strata for approval and therefore illegal

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You may find that responsibility rests on when the floorboards were installed. If they were installed with the original fitout, strata insurance may cover the damage. If, at some stage, the original floor coverings were replaced by the floorboards (whether approved by strata or not), responsibility will probably rest with the current owner - you.

This is why it is always wise to have your own insurance. If you have landlord insurance including contents cover, lodge a claim.
    Marg

Lindsay_W likes this.
  4. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

Hi

They aren't laminate flooring- they're floating boards, and looks professionally installed

5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Even if strata approve a modification, it usually comes with the provision that any future responsibility is with the owner.
    Marg

6. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

I guess but it's the result of poor maintenance etc of the roof that water leaked.

7. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I had a similar scenario, water from outside apartment ruined the cabinets in my kitchen and also carpets in living area - kitchen was covered by Strata Insurance - Flooring covered by contents - This was in QLD.

8. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that if you put a claim in through your insurance company and there is a chance it could be covered by strata insurance, your insurer will pursue it. Just hand it over and let your insurer fight it out.

KateSydney likes this.
  9. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

True however it is a $500 fee to lodge a claim, and only a few floor boards are damaged. I could prob just do it myself however I'm worried about any legal implications e.g if someone trips over the floorboard then can they sue me etc,
    my landlord insurance has like a million dollar personal liability clause however can I use it for renovations I have done myself to floors

10. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Hi, the Answer is simple,
    Fixed floorboards are like ceramic tiles covered by strata insurance no matter who installed them.
    Floating floors are like carpet and are covered by the landlords insurance, no matter who installed them.

Lindsay_W and funnybunny like this.
  11. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

how do i know if theyre fixed or floating? they sort of water loaded and popped up", so i assume they're floating rather than fixed hm

12. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

You read your message from above where you obviously know they are floating, and have said so yourself. As a strata insurance agent, you wouldn’t believe how many people try to pass the wool over others eyes, then play dumb.
    In buildings after about 1950, the floors are concrete so boards float on top of the concrete.

Joynz and Lindsay_W like this.
  13. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

Attached a photo of the floorboards- can anyone tell me if it is floating or fixed?

Building is from 1998

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      79.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Floating!

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

With that damage I’d pay the
    I've never heard of a fee to lodge a claim. Do you mean there is a $500 excess?

For that damage, I'd either look at getting in a handyman to fix it or make the claim and just pay the excess.

You couldn't leave that like it is while you make a decision.

16. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

Yeah sorry i meant that's the excess

17. funnybunny

funnybunny Member

Thanks, yeh it does look like it's floating boards

Lindsay_W likes this.
  18. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Looks like real cypress pine to me.
    Those knots, colour and the way it’s popped up

Also doesn’t look like something that’s popped up overnight. Would have been something that’s occurred over a period of a few months to get like that.

I’ve had something similar. Good news is that I don’t think it’s hard to fix. Contact a person who specializes in wood flooring / polish to get a quote.

They’ll most likely have to remove the wood, trim it then glue it back down. Ideally repolish too.

housechopper2 likes this.
  19. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

I believe it probably depends on the insurance policy held by the owners corp / strata.

I own in a number of different strata buildings, and what is and isn’t covered can vary dramatically.

Two extremes - insurance in one building covers complete bathroom renewal after water damage, another will cover repairing damaged ceiling but won’t cover re-painting the ceiling after water ingress.

Either get on the committee and steer towards a policy you’re comfortable with ... or accept the policy that’s been chosen, understand it, and make sure your own insurance covers for the items strata insurance doesn’t.

KateSydney likes this.
  20. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

Also, as a general comment on strata insurance.

Some commissions strata agents receive on insurance is obscene.
    Make no mistake, it’s not a gift from the insurance company, the owners are paying for it.

I have seen one instance where the commission actually exceeded the annual management fee ...literally $’000’s.

Strata agents are required to disclose commissions but often nobody’s paying much attention. As an owner in a lot, you can pay attention to this whether you are in the committee or not.