Strata Car space issue

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Margarite7591, 22nd Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Margarite7591

Margarite7591 New Member

Hi
    I purchased a strata townhouse which included a car space. The are 8 townhouses in my block with the carpark at the side of the building. Recently the owner of another townhouse being unhappy with his car space decided move the bins and use that space to increase the size of his car space. He has repainted all the car park spaces. He has insisted the bins are now placed behind our vehicles against the fence. What rights do l have regarding this. It's almost impossible for me to physically manoeuvre my bins around the parked cars. Can anyone help me with this?.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Lodge complaint to Body Corporate. Tell him he's been warned. No mucking about with this nonsense.

bmc likes this.
  3. Margarite7591

Margarite7591 New Member

Thanku for responding. This guy is on the body corporate and bullies everyone. I've complained to strata management .... She says owners have to sort this out. He's a control freak and an angry man. I want to deal with him legally but don't know where to start. I have moved my bins next to the green bins and every morning l come out and he's dragged my bins back behind my car. I've decided to stand my ground with the bins because it's a health and safety issue for me. I can't seem to get help anywhere??

datto likes this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

your strata managing agent should be able to confirm the lot allocations and common areas as shown on the registered strata plan. they will have a copy. (or should have)

the registered plan (SP) indicates your title lots or Pt lots, be-it car-spaces, garages, balconies, unit floor space, store rooms, etc etc.

sometimes a bin store area (common property) is also noted on the plan

so if he has taken over common property to park his car, they should issue him a notice to remove his stuff.

he cant just repaint the car spaces to suit himself. the locations are fully dimensioned on the strata plan and can be reinstated.

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2021
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I know nothing about strata, but if he is one of eight, are they mostly owner occupiers? Anyone else having issues with what this joker has done?

I don't know whether you could perhaps engage a lawyer between the rest of you to write and request that he reinstate what he has changed. Split between several other owners, the cost should not be too much and it might just make him sit up and listen.

Or is there a higher body you can go to for this type of problem?

6. Margarite7591

Margarite7591 New Member

Unfortunately he and l r the only owner/occupiers which is why he's getting away with resizing the parking spaces. I'm going to have to get council involved and approach it legally. Thanks for ur response

7. Margarite7591

Margarite7591 New Member

Thanku for ur reply. I've already made a case to our Strata Management who have basically told me lm on my own. Lack of interest from Strata management combined with body corporate members being rail-roaded by this guy leave me as a small woman standing up to this bully, everyone avoids him. Several owners rent their townhouses so it's only him and myself who r owner/occupiers. I think ur right l need to get onto council and get the original plans and l need council to come and look at what he's done and find out how to get my original car space back and how to stop this guy touching and moving my stuff. U can't reason with him or discuss anything because he just shouts u down. Thanks for feedback.

8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Just keep going. The strata manager should be providing the plan of the parking. Also, you are paying the strata manager. You need to be on the committee and at strata meetings.
    Money is money, law is law, plans are plans, doesn't change no matter how big, small, loud, quiet, silly, clever, pink, purple or blue you are. That strata manager needs to provide more support. Don't give up.

wylie, qak, bmc and 1 other person like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

When is your next strata AGM/committee meeting ?
    Who else if anybody is on the committee ?
    Ask strata manager for the last 2 years AGM minutes and any committee meeting minutes.
    Reading as much as possible to know the history.
    All the above is Strata managers role !

See if you can't get anto the committee, nominate to be secretary.......
    This will give you access to the mailing list of other owners, you could then start a news letter (small scale IP owners often get frustrated at tbe lack of info/feedback about their investment) and may get a few owners "on your side" to outvote Mr Bully.

Do a internet search for other strata management company's and obtain quotes so you can list Strata management agreement on the agenda (along with parking/bin issue) to be addressed at the next AGM.

Don't think this can be fixed in a few weeks, things in strata move slowly and often stall until the next AGM :oops:

wylie and bmc like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If 6/8 are absentee owners, who is on the executive committee ie chair, secretary, treasurer? How are decisions made?

Keep pushing (writing) the strata manager.

Stoffo and bmc like this.
  11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This ;)
    Do everything via email so you have a paper trail :cool: