Strata approval for reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by exitstra, 23rd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. exitstra

exitstra New Member

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying an apartment. It's on the middle floor in a block of 10.

The current layout really doesn't maximise the available space in my opinion.

I see two reno options for it:
    1. Knock a wall to make an open-plan kitchen/living/dining and then add a wall/door to split another room.

2. Move the kitchen entirely to where the current living/dining is, this would mean all new plumbing in the new location I assume.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether one of those options would be easier to get strata approval versus the other?

If it helps I've looked at floorplans of other apartments in the block and it looks to me like one apartment might have previously done option 1. and another apartment might have previously done option 2.

If another apartment in the block has done something before does that set a precedent that would make it easier for me to get approval to do similar, or that's irrelevant?

Any input appreciated as I've heard mixed reviews on how easy/hard it can be to get strata approval.

Also, any thoughts on which option would be cheaper when it came to actually do?

Thanks!

2. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic of the floor plan ?

3. exitstra

exitstra New Member

Hi sorry for delay, so the first pic is current floorplan. Second pic covers option 1. Third pic is option 2. although the kitchen could potentially go against the bathroom wall if that made it easier for plumbing.

Attached Files:

4. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Option 1 would be cheaper and easier to get approved due to similar positions of kitchen and bathrooms

5. arewethereyet

arewethereyet Well-Known Member

If this was an IP, I'd be keen to do Option 2. Did you progress this and how are strata conversations going?

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

what about having the kitchen on the back of the bathroom wall - might be easier to access utilities. Then open plan to the dining/living with better light from the "sunroom" windows onto the living area

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Do your numbers, so it depends, if two bed apartment creates extra equity and increased rents I would go with option two, if this is just temporary more cosmetic change say to sell, I would go with option one, well it really depends on......
    What is the outcome you wish to achieve?
    I opened up the wall between the kitchen and did cosmetic renovation as there was no opportunity to create or add more bedrooms, but if there was would have pursued that option.
    If someone already did similar I would assume they set precedence IMHO.
    Hence why I am looking now how to convert say 2 B 1 B 1 C, to 3 B 2B 1 C in inner west Sydney, as there is a vast disparity in price, by creating such equity and having no strata to deal with like with units.
    Keep posting what you decide and how you progress.