Strata approval for bathroom renovation

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ardle, 23rd Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ardle

ardle Member

I'm wanting to re-tile the bathroom floor and walls in my unit. In order to obtain approval for the renovation, do I have to wait until the AGM to discuss the matter with the executive committee members? I was told by a neighbour that I might have to either wait until the AGM or pay for the EGM to have the matter tabled. Do all minor renovations need to be approved in AGM/EGM or are there certain exceptions? I thought I could simply get approval by emailing the work details to the strata manager who would then ask the executive committee. Maybe my understanding is incorrect. I'd like to get some idea before contacting the strata manager.

Thanks

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

AFAIK the executive of the BC can provide approvals, that should be a formality unless it involves structural work.

3. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

u only need to tell them if walls etc are being moved,there is no need to tell them otherwise.
    why would u want to ?

if your not affecting their walls or structure then its none of their bloody business;)

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2018
    Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

As far as I know if yours not causing damage to common walls you don’t need to tell them.
    As long as your only replace your plaster tiles (which it sounds like is all your doing) and fittings it’s not common property

5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I've never had to wait for an AGM/EGM to renovate inside a unit, whether you need approval or not, I like to provide the executive committee with the details so they can deal with any complaints etc. Usually I just email the strata manager a summary of what is being done, the work hours that will be adhered to, confirm that we will keep common areas clean and clear of waste, confirm contractors are insured and provide project manager contact details if any.

I also like to write a note or chat to my neighbours immediately above, below, beside the bathroom to let them know when there will be substantial noise/demo so they can plan around it.

They should be much friendlier and cope with dramas better, having received that info from you

Tom Rivera likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Materials magically get up to the 20th floor and demo materials come down by skyhooks? You need BC to provide the lift blankets, someone to ensure that the lift is cleaned/booked for loads etc.

Noobieboy likes this.
  7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

^^This! :)

8. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

NSW?

Renovations - NSW Fair Trading

Taking a guess, removing tiles on the bathroom floor = waterproofing = major renovation = special resolution = general meeting.

None of this should be an issue though. Just log the request with the strata manager.

9. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

@bunkai is correct.

You will need to contact your strata manager and fill in an application for renovation.

You will then need to cover the cost of an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Owners Corporation.

You will then need a quorum of owners/proxies and then a majority to approve your reno, in a Special Resolution at the meeting. And this will require a by-law that is then registered to your lot (at your cost, which in context, is not much).

Which shouldnt be a problem.

Don't go rogue, as fighting the matter in Tribunal against your OC (and their request for an order to restore it to original condition, at your cost) will probably be a lot more expensive than coughing up for an EGM.

10. ardle

ardle Member

Thanks. I might skip the floor for now or just lay new tiles over it. Would that keep it as a minor reno?

The above Fair Trading page doesn't specify bathroom walls (as all walls are not waterproofed) or does it fall under "changing internal walls" in the Minor renovations section, which then just needs approval from the executive committee and I don't need to wait for the AGM - if I'm correct?

11. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Write up a short summary of the works, submit to your strata manager and talk to them about it. You might find it lot easier than you expect.

wylie likes this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I would consider retiling a minor reno- there is nothing at all structural to

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Waterproofing wet areas is a plumbing trade skill in most states and a licensed installer should perform the work but council doesnt regulate that. Otherwise providing you dont change the room function no DA would be required....Adding a ensuite. moving a bathroom etc a definite issue

However your strata may have specific rules where they need to consent to any or some specific changes...They dont want your own or trade bad workmanship affecting others eg flooring, noise, waste leaks, waterproofing by a DIY owner etc. You dont want to find out after starting. If its simple changes like paint and fittings there may be no concerns. But when they hear drills and other noise the strata may have concerns and it may be easier to address this early. Even a change of paint can be refused if its visible externally.

Retiling over existing tiles isnt clever. It could affect drains, levels and room ceiling heights and fail code. Removing the old tiles may also affect waterproofing. Door heights are affected and firedoors should never be altered. A fire rated door for a bathroom is a common last point of refuge in a multistorey building and you may affect that.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

You might find that the Minor Renovations does not include, and specifically excludes, waterproofing, ie:-

NSW Legislation

and will therefore require a Special Resolution of the OC at an AGM or EGM.

It might be worth having a chat with your Committee Secretary or Strata Manager to give you a better idea.