Strata apartment committees run by retirees

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by marmot, 18th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Read an interesting article a few years ago about strata apartments and one of the worst outcomes for owners was committees ran by retirees.
    Because they were on fixed incomes , they never wanted to spend extra money and long term spending on maintenance issues was a waste of time.

Michael Mitchell, Angel and Lizzie like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Same scenario it appears - the older voters don't want to spend money on maintenance for the entire joint

3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

IMHO, that is a bit of a generalisation :eek:.

I am retired, I own apartments in two strata blocks and both have retirees on their BC committees (I am a member of one).

My experience is because retirees are past their asset accumulation phase (that is, they are no longer working), they value their apartments (which means they want to keep them well maintained) and they have the time to ensure the apartments are well maintained (setting scope of work, getting quotes, monitoring work performed, claiming on warranties, ...).

As an example, in the last couple of years, both apartments blocks I am involved in have had the external areas/common areas painted. The second one was just completed at at cost of just over $250,000 and it looks fantastic.

To determine how well a block of strata apartments is maintained (and how well the committee is run/functions), I would be analysing the minutes of their meetings (AGMs, EGMs, Committee Meeting) NOT seeing whether the committee was full of retirees ;).

To me, retirees on the BC committee is a positive sign. I would be more worried about a committee full of younger (inexperienced) people :D.

Let’s get back on topic.

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2019
    craigc, Islay, Tom Rivera and 2 others like this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It was on topic. He used it a a metaphor for the planet

Angel likes this.
  5. kierank

That wasn’t clear to grumpy old *******s like me with a 5 year timeline :D.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Back off topic this morning - our strata is made up of four BBs like us, then one really old pensioner. He disagrees with our ideas of maintenance and being the one there on site 24/7, sabotages our best intentions. Just like the political messages our really old rellies send around on fb.

7. kierank

I will go for a run with you.

In the late 1970’s, I bought my first property, a two bedroom apartment in Melbourne. The maintenance on the externals of the building was non-existent.

I joined rhe BC committee as I wanted to turn things around. They had a German as the Chairperson and a Jew as the Treasurer. The meeting were interesting and heated (neither of them had moved past WWII) and the committee was completely dysfunctional.

No old retirees here :eek:.

The good news is that I got the maintenance schedule underway (once I was on the committee) and I sold that apartment a couple year later with a 62% capital gain :D.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

All they needed was a Russian to adjudicate. Though no promises it would turn out any better, considering the misery the Russian soldiers caused others when they 'liberated' them.

9. kierank

It was a Russian Jew :D.

Michael Mitchell and Sackie like this.
  10. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Once the ROP realises all he/she has is a vote, and nothing more, all the maintenance that the committee majority want done, will get done.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia