Stranger wants to put family member in will

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Tim & Chrissy, 12th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I would call an ambulance.

He is at risk. They blow cash, run up credit cards, buy crazy things (a hire car? hotel? chickens!?), have (unprotected) sex when they shouldn't, think they have super powers and/or are important (famous singer, rich).

You might find that he is quite affable, interesting, engaging, likeable, super energetic, euphoric, generous. This is all part of the illness.

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Do you know what the threshold is for paramedics to schedule him?

It's been a few years since I was involved in something similar but I know if he has a treatment agreement with the MH Team they can take him into custody.

3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No, no idea. If you call the mental health unit they should be able to advise a course of action

4. Tim & Chrissy

Ambulance can take him (Police can't, it doesn't meet the threshold of harm under the MH Act for them to do it without paramedics).

Mental Health Act 2007 No 8

20 Detention on information of ambulance officer

(1) An ambulance officer who provides ambulance services in relation to a person may take the person to a declared mental health facility if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that the person appears to be mentally ill or mentally disturbed and that it would be beneficial to the person’s welfare to be dealt with in accordance with this Act.

(2) An ambulance officer may request police assistance if of the opinion that there are serious concerns relating to the safety of the person or other persons if the person is taken to a mental health facility without the assistance of a police officer.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking.

6. Tim & Chrissy

It also explains why they have known him for a few years but this behaviour only started a week back.

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The fellow is probably just eccentric and lonely. Dementia / Alzheimers may also be an issue.

Some people also unfortunately or perhaps for good reasons have limited or no family contact in old age. This could also be their own decision.

He may need help from a solicitor or the public trustee.

8. Tim & Chrissy

There is a real lack of logic/reasonableness behind his purchases, here is half of what was bought yesterday:

20160312_232421.jpg

The chickens were the tipping point, it was such an out there purchase, also the car was packed to the roof with his own shopping and a $3000 furniture purchase the day before.

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The chickens are certainly unusual. A difficult situation to deal with. He probably just needs help.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Furniture as well now? He's manic. No doubt. This is not the behavior of dementia.

doesnt sound like he is working, he may well be in financial strife soon.

What age group is he?

11. Tim & Chrissy

I believe he is 55-60. He made a few claims about money and how much he earns at the start of the week. They were big, unbelievable claims which initially made me think he could be a con man trying to win their trust.

He also asked the family member to do his banking for him yesterday, not sure if that was an attempt to offload his bank cards so he can't keep spending.

12. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Please act at the next opportunity. Let the ambulance decide.

13. Tim & Chrissy

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We have contacted the MH access team, unfortunately they cannot act without his consent. The family member is going to have a gentle chat with him next time he is in and try get him to consent and wait for MH team to arrive to conduct an assessment.

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Next time he comes call an ambulance and say potential or stroke. Say heart attack and they'll get the night to stay in hospital.

When ambo's come say he's confused blah, blah, blah and was complaining of chest pains. Ambo's can take for a nights accom and they can assess him

I'm the mean time I'll forward you my details for a slice of the pie ;)

Bran and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Tim & Chrissy I just wanted to say how thankful I am that there are people out there like you and your family who are taking the time to look into how this man can be cared for so he's not taken advantage of and he doesn't run through all his money during this episode.

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

No amount of ego/manners/benefit of the doubt is worth your health and safety!!

just need to find a balance

no point if you are dead!

17. Tim & Chrissy

Thanks Westminster :)

We have always considered ourselves quite fortunate so we help others where we can and we try to instill the same values in our kids.

wombat777 and Westminster like this.
  18. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Ambulance will often just drop him off at ED if they take him at all. His behavior is probably not enough for them to take him. If he takes off from ED he won't get the help he needs. In NSW they have a mental health crisis team in each area. They do home visits to make assessments. If your family member can find out where he lives they can then ring the crisis team and request they make a visit. They can ask for a phone call back to let them know the outcome.

19. Tim & Chrissy

If he is scheduled under the MH Act he is in their custody and is their responsibliry until a hand over at hospital takes place.

With any luck he will agree to speaking with the MH team in our area, they will get him some help and there won't be any need for an ambulance

20. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Don't schedule him, when people get put into involuntary mental health facilities, it's unpleasant. Cumberland (a psych ward near me) has a horrendous reputation and if he isn't hurting anyone there is no need.

He seems to trust your family, advise them to talk to him about his family, Start with asking him about his youth, as the mind deteriorates we lose recent memories first so talking about his younger years should be fairly easy for him, after a short while, try and get information about living relatives Children, Siblings, Cousins etc, then find them and contact them to let them know what is going on and that you are worried about him. They may know who his current team of doctors (if there are any) are and may be able to get in touch with them, it may simply be a case of changing meds or it may be a deterioration in his condition. Sending someone off to an involuntary psych ward should be a very last resort for someone who you feel is a danger to either themselves or society.

It may turn out that he is simply an eccentric lonely old man who doesn't know how to live without his wife since her passing. Maybe he never got over her passing. Who knows.

thydzik likes this.