Stormwater pipe blocked under neighbouring property

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Yann, 22nd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi,

I own a unit in a small block in Herston QLD, and part of the strata committee. The land at the rear of the building was slipping and after investigation we found our storm water pipe was leaking badly, causing movement in the ground.
    We fixed/replaced the storm water pipe on our property. However the storm water pipe then runs underground a neighbouring property (and a third one) before reaching a drainage main. The neighbouring property has a separate drainage for storm water, so does not drain into the blocked underground pipe.

There is another property upstream from us that also drains into this storm water pipe, so it is a shared storm water pipe. I have tried to read the BCC city plan, but could not see clearly if this pipe (under neighbouring properties at least) would be community purpose network and whether BCC would be responsible for its maintenance (this storm water pipe is shown on the 'BCC stormwater and cable networks" sequence number 51697827, what does this mean for maintenance?).

Question is who should pay for the blocked storm pipe under the neighbouring property, given that the storm water pipe is used by two properties upstream (ours and another one)?

Thanks
    Yann

Tom Rivera likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The maintenance would depend upon what is written in the easement instrument.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi Willair, here is the network map I was referring to. My unit is at 6 Parkhurst avenue. The house upstream from us is 8a Parkhurst avenue, where storm water also drains in 'our' pipe'. The pipe was fixed on our property boundary, but is blocked when it goes underground under 16 Aberleigh Road towards the bottom.
    My question is because this storm water pipe is shown on a BCC network map, does this mean that it is community network and not private network, hence BCC responsibility to maintain it?

Attached Files:

5. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, I guess you refer to the easement on the neighbouring property under which 'our' storm water pipe is blocked?

I checked the BCC interactive map and I can see a few overlays & plans on the property at 16 Aberleigh Road (Community purposes network overlay, Critical infrastructure and movement network overlay, Stormwater network), but no link to easements. Same for a PD Online property search, same list of overlays and neighbour plans, but no link to easements. Where can you download the easement instruments on the title?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You need to do a paid title search then pay for all documents which relate to the easements, then work out which easement that the pipes are laid in (there may be several easements).

This is where your strata manager should be assisting the BC. What are they doing or advising?

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yann I can't open that link ,just start by ringing the BCC --then follow what Scott has said ..

8. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for your advice. I will contact BCC and strata to see the best course of action.

9. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia