Stormwater on Councils Kerb

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Lozza25, 2nd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lozza25

Lozza25 New Member

Hi all, I have an issue with my local council sorry for the long thread.

In 2014 a large peppercorn tree was removed on councils footpath. A few weeks later i noticed alot of broken pvc pipe from possible stump grinding. Emailed my local council informing them that broken pvc pipes could possibly be cause of backup stormwater to my yard. Council returned and confirmed pipe was damaged and fixed.

Now in early 2020 after the floods in sydney i was so over my yard looking like a swamp from extensive stormwater overflow in my backyard over the years (covid hit and let it go) n sept 2020 i had a Property Inspector assess this issue as he said continual flooding has caused ground settlement and my pool was lifting and pergola showed signs of instability.

Recent works: a plumber paid to search my stormwater issue who found a blockage on the Councils strip/kerb, a site meeting 19/6/21 with council which was dug up from council workers in my presence- so council said and took responsibility of bad maintainence from them after replacement (re my complaint in 2014) that broken pvc pipe was replaced with a 100mm over a 90mm from my property with no join and at kerb edge a 90mm (into a 100mm) with a 40mm inside with absolutely no joins or glued, i was told easy fix mmmm now council wont take my claim of damage to my backyard, saying by my Prop Inspection report notes which i kindly provided to them stating by report that i have a low baring slope causing ground settlement in my backyard ‍♀️Confused i need advice to move forward where or who do i contact to help me.

Attached Files:

2. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

??

can you confirm the terminology please, it doesn't seem to make any sense.

are they saying the land has settled causing water to pool and not run off ?

if this is the case you may need to consult a Landscaper to evaluate, and possibly install subsoil drainage or raise / regrade the slope of your lot.

council will give you the provision to drain to the street, but i don't think they are going to come to the party with any issues you have within your lot boundary.

i worked on a lot of the early subdivisions in the Campbelltown area in the 80's & 90's (St Helens Park - Mt Annan etc)
    the developers benched most sites for typical raft slab construction, which in my opinion was always going to cause future drainage issues .

3. Lozza25

Lozza25 New Member

Hi bmc,
    Sorry my explanation is abit scattered. Im just as confused. Ive just quoted what the building inspector has said in his report. No water entering my pool. Drainage issues only started when the bad instalment of stormwater pvc pipe causing blockage done from a council worker. My property is in st helens pk. Id love to chat with you by phone it might help with my questions??