Storm Damage - asbestos roofing

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bec, 3rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bec

Bec Member

Hi guys,

Just seeing if anyone has any experience with asbestos roofing, we have a investment property in the Redcliffe area and we have been advised of a hole in our roof that our neighbour sighted when he went up to check his roof. I have been advised that the whole roof may need to be replaced due to being asbestos but some Qld govt sites talk about repairs being done to asbestos. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rebecca

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Will insurance cover a whole roof replacement due to the asbestos being broken up?

3. Bec

Bec Member

Potentially. Just seeing what other people have done in these circumstances. ;-)

Gockie likes this.
  4. Bec

Bec Member

This could be a result of the recent storm damage, so fingers crossed That it is and I am covered.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Bran posted about having an asbestos roof encapsulated / sealed to make it safe.

This company I think
    Asbestos Cement Roof Restoration - Restyle Hoe Improvement

However, asbestos does get brittle and walking on it can be risky as a result (falling through rather than breathing in loose fibres from the degrading roof)

Just call a couple of companies and see if they will patch it.

Is it storm damage or just age?

Bec likes this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, as Bran, he posted about fixing a rook recently.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't you call your insurer and ask them to send an assessor?

I'm guessing the question you have is whether the assessor says it is storm damage or says the damage has nothing to do with the storm?

If the latter, then you've lost nothing. You have to repair or replace the roof at your own cost if it is not considered storm damage.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Storm damage unlikely as there was no hail. Unless a tree branch pierced the roof. Heavy rain unlikely to put a hole in a sound roof.

Sounds like the roof is past it's use-by date.
    Marg

9. Bec

Bec Member

Thanks guys. Yes branches were found on the roof and neighbours roof as well. No water damage inside house which indicates that it is only recent otherwise we would know by now. I am waiting now for quotes to be done so I can lodge formal claim with insurance company. Will keep you updated on outcome. Appreciate all your responses.

Many thanks
    Bec

Ren likes this.
  10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I had a client with this issue in the 1999 eastern suburns hail damage event. Roof loss was 900m2 worth $1m above their warehouse. Every second rood sheet was smashed, They got a free new roof. Thats rare. Insurers HATE asbestos and sometimes more damage can occur to repair when people walk on it etc. They may pay to replace it when ""X%"" is damaged. The damage threshold is lower than other materials. It removes the costly uncertainty around brittle roof fibres and exposed materials.....BUT insurers arent a free replacement service. They would need to determine the roof is a practical write off as a consequnce of that storm

The assessor will guide that. They will require storm, hail or a wind event to damage the roof or if its a leak issue its all your cost !! They may limit claims until YOU replace the roof.

11. Bec

Bec Member

Thanks Paul

12. Marlen

Marlen New Member

Basically, I don't prefer asbestos. Asbestos fiber can cause bad health.

13. Ren

Ren New Member

Hi just wondering how it went?

14. J.W

J.W Member

Hi all,

This just happened to me a few days ago from the storm/rain in the last few weeks. Only just purchased the property and settled a month ago with no issues since until Tuesday finding leaks from the roof into the ceiling in 3 different spots.

What usually happens from here? I've been told asbestos can't be repaired? At the same time, the guys who went out to do a make safe put their foot through a small section of the fibro roof.

I'm fairly new to this but will I need to replace the whole roof? Or will they fix it or replace it?

I'm meeting the assessor shortly but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

15. Paul@PAS

The sheeting that is causing the leak wont be insured (as this is a maintenance issue) but the water damage caused by the leaks may be. The insurer will likely require rectification to the roof prior to any repair. A roof that is hit by a branch, hail etc may be insured. Walking on it is likely a uninsured event even if it were accidetal damage. The assessor will address that.

A (asbestor accrediated) roofing contractor can consider the best options and quote it. Replacing isnt always the solution. Replacing damaged sections with modern cement sheeting is a further option. The problem with asbestos sheeting is it becomes friable and brittle and touching it at all is a hazard and it further deteriorates. Usually the rule is stay off unelss replacing.

The removal of one roof material and replacing with steel is usually not deductible however a specific tax deduction for asbestos removal (s40-775 ITAA97) may assist this costly repair issue to be deductible if the property is a rental property. You also would otherwise be impacted by the "initial repair" rule and the asbestos deductibility rule may assist you with a deduction.

Propin likes this.
  16. J.W

J.W Member

Thank you for your response.
    But what about the assessor that sent the trades person who stepped through my roof? Would it not be my insurance sorts it out with their insurance or something like that?

17. Paul@PAS

The insurer doesnt insure tradies as they are liable for their own works and damage. But if they damage something and walk away it could be a claim for repair of that damage
    Raise with the assessor

18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Welcome to being a landlord! :)

Ask your insurance company if it’s covered. Talking to my insurance company we are covered for some unsatisfactory plumbing repairs.

I’d be tempted to replace asbestos since it isn’t in good condition. Expensive but when I had a property with an asbestos roof in excellent condition it was concerning to tenants.

19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member