Storing belongings in a mobile storage

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Jas56, 13th Nov, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Hi All

So we are going to start painting in our house. We are living in a short term rental apartment but had left few things in bedrooms for the house. The painter needs to get those things out to be able to paint the ceiling and the walls. Flooring needs to be done too, so can not move them to any other room either.
    We have things packed in boxes etc.
    Has anyone used a mobile storage in Sydney. I looked online and have found Holloway removalist from Woli Creek in Sydney.
    Only issue is they are not not including the insurance in the cost when good are in their storage.
    Should I take extra insurance for our things. They are not expensive but simple things as extra beds, mattresses, dining table etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

PODS or Taxibox?

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You could use storage facilities eg Kennards and buy insurance from them. They’ll even help with transport to the facility. Free I think. Check the website but I think it’s $500 pm for a garage size room.

4. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Friends used a POD for exactly this scenario, saves transporting your stuff offsite.

Beano likes this.
  5. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments everyone. It is like a taxibox but it is a different company , they called them online The shuttlebox but actually the paperwork has come in from Holloway Removalists.
    Ok, I will check for the insurance how much they say. The guy was very reassuring that nothing will happen to the stuff. But somehow I am having a funny feeling about just handing over all stuff to some unknown people :)

qak likes this.
  6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Check with your normal contents insurer if they can be covered for the (presumably short?) period they will be outside the house. I have no idea how much this insurance would cost, but you need to make the decision whether these items are worth insuring or not. I wouldn't like to get the furniture & beds back and find they'd been affected by a water leak.

Plenty of stories about things going missing or wrong when in storage.

I remember one pod-style container had been dropped, breaking everything inside, but the owner was unaware until years later when it was finally re-opened. They'd been paying all along ... presumably the company in question was hoping the owner would never open the box & then they could sell the contents sight unseen to some other poor sucker.

7. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks Qak. Thats a good idea. Maybe better to check my own insurer.
    That way they might be covered through all the period. Appreciate your reply.

8. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

My home and content insurance is with AAMi and they don't do storage insurance but on their advice I goggled to find storage insurers. They are quite a few of them. I could not talk to anyone today but would call them again tomorrow morning. Thank you so much for your replies everyone.

9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

SOME general insurers do offer extension of house & contents to storage. NRMA for example cover they have precise site rules eg 24/7 onsite, alarmed etc. No valuables etc. They must approve the site. A on site "pod" etc may be more cost effective but factor in delivery each way

Tip : Never allow a removalist etc to store your goods. They dont pay their rent and you are just a creditor. The goods can be sold. If they exist after the unpaid staff take what they want.

Jas56 and Beano like this.
  10. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

I am keeping my fingers crossed now!!! And bit worried!!!
    The stuff is gone today and I ended up insuring goods through the storage company itself, as I was time poor and this needed to be done asap.
    Nothing precious but its mainly the furniture etc. Hopefully I get it all back in their original condition!!!

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you dont have the access to the goods and the key I would be very concerned. The insurance some offer is junk. It wont cover things that cant be found or are not inventoried with proof etc Many removalists are backyarders who use subbies who are subbies of subbies who employs carnies for cash with dubious pasts. They are mere labourers. If they dont get paid they start to recover money by theft and thats IF they dont just take it all. Even the biggest names all engage backyarders. And they all do it...Its not considered theft by Police. Just missing.

Esh likes this.
  12. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

:eek::oops: I am actually scared now!!! Will let you know how did we go in 2-3 weeks!!!!

13. JackRussel

JackRussel New Member

Does that even happen? It's creepy that they covered it up and didn't say anything. I wonder if that's the way it was in the container. Unless the company is required to check when packing inside.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia