Stockpiling supplies - what have you included

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by Lizzie, 28th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Why are people who store d-heads? Surely their dollar is worth as much as yours and it's their choice. Maybe they think they might need it. Not their fault anyone else missed out.

Regardless, we are slack in Australia. Coming from NZ, I always found it amusing to see every house with a "emergency rations" box in the bottom of their pantry - with minimum 3 days of supplies, including water, but many had a few weeks worth - due to being earthquake prone.

Makes sense, really, that we should all have a few weeks of supply "just in case". Only have to look at the stupid rush over Easter and Christmas to realise that people have fear of running out of food if the shops are closed for a single day - what if the shops were closed for several weeks?

See Change likes this.
  2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

the government has come out and said that some stockpiling is a good thing and have advised it . Health Minister in a conference last weeks .

reasons .

breakdown in supply chain . Eg Truck drivers get sick , don’t go to work and supplies don’t though even though they may have supplies in the warehouse .

At the moment , the chances of getting corona virus are similar to winning lotto so society is functioning normally .

If this goes pandemic normal supply chains MAY NOT work .

If it goes Pandemic there may well be restrictions on what you can do .

if you get it you may not be able to go out to shop and woollies / coles on line will be snowed under .

While all the systems are working , NOW ( for us , started the weekend before this one ) is the time to get some extra supplies into you house , maybe 1-2 months worth .

It’s not ridiculous , it’s sensible planning . If you can’t see this , IHMO , you haven’t thought through the implicates of what might happen .

hope for best , prepare for the worst

Cliff

Last edited: 2nd Mar, 2020
    Gladys, Christina46 and Lizzie like this.
  3. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Was specifically referring to the hand sanitizer, it could be useful right now to many and instead it's going to be stored in people's cupboards and likely never used. So it is their fault people who need it miss out.

Joynz likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Maybe those who need it should've kept a stock on hand ... or as pointed out before ... make your own. I'm not into this blame shifting thing.

I think breakdown in supply chain is the biggest fear. Have you looked to see how many of your regular products are made overseas? The popular Dettol hand sanitizer is made in Thailand - Codral is made in South Africa - goodness knows where Panadol and Nurofen come from (nothing on packaging) but they are obviously overseas ... fortunately my fav brand of toilet paper is made in Australia

5. See Change

to quote what myself and Lizzie responded to , in bold .

if you had just included sanitisers and masks you have a valid point , though we have bought a six pack of sanitisers and have about 40 masks . Those are for use while we go though the airports , planes when we go to the cook island at the end of next week

what is stupid is using masks in public at the moment , not needed and using a resource that you well may need in a couple of months .

cliff

6. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

I was though referring to hand sanitiser if you look at the post I quoted.. but that post got removed in the requotes.

But still as far as food goes stockpiling weeks or months worth in Australia .. not necessary and ultimately hurting other people by creating shortages.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We'll have to agree to disagree - and happy to be the receiver of a "told you so" if, at the end of all this, I'm wrong eating my extra rice and pasta for the next few weeks

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may also help with demand on resources, heat generated etc and go a good way towards reducing negative impacts on the environment.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Calling people names just because you don't approve of their choice is poor form.

While I'm not stockpiling for any particular event, I do often buy extra supplies of non perishables when they are on sale. How is this any different?

If someone has bought a ration of it, they obviously use the stuff. They've just now got a large supply than usual.

Lizzie likes this.
  10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

BOB's (Bug Out Bag) on Stand-By..Not ready for INCH (I've Never Coming Home) Yet :D

11. See Change

wategos

the post you quoted said Hand sanitisers

But YOU SAID FOOD

Maybe you should take a bit more care in what you say
    and not say people are misquoting YOUR words .

Cliff

12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No empty shelves, or sign of rush, at my local supermarket ... unless you include people loading up on half price chips. Obviously not a stress factor in the countryside

13. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The Planets well being is more important than people's property portfolios but ymmv.

Lizzie likes this.
  14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

IMG20200302102212.jpg
    At our local Aldi. The reason they are piled behind the car is that the car boot is completely full.

The Aldi guy said that they have been really busy, and that they have been running out very quickly.

15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I’m still struggling to buy Kangaroo meat for dogs. I tried a pet store yesterday, sold out and delivery not for a few days. Maybe it’s an effect of the fires? No chance of me stockpiling

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Drought/floods too maybe?

The Y-man

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

We have around 100 Large bottles of home brew in the cellar should water become scarce:). Definitely no germs in that lot, it’s been filtered through a brewery.

Sackie, Lizzie and Gladys like this.
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

True, I forgot about the drought. I gave him some chicken mince tonight, hopefully not a bad decision

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Propin likes this.
  20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Washing with soap and water is better. Save the hand sanitiser for traveling etc when you don’t have access to soap and water.

Angel likes this.