Stock quotes and stock price history in Numbers ( iPhone/iPad/Mac )

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by wombat777, 9th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Add current stock quotes and currency exchange rates in to your spreadsheets in Numbers

Apple have added a reliable facility for importing stock price data into Numbers. It works much better than the techniques necessary in Excel. Grabbing historical price data is much simpler for example.

I'm using this for tracking some investments. Allows me to keep a master spreadsheet in an iCloud Drive and track strategised price points and movements. That allows me to check price movements on my Phone or IPad.

Lots of attributes you can grab. I think they are grabbing the data from yahoo so will put in a request for them to add moving averages, etc.

Nb - for some reason some stocks don't appear in the search facility. Workaround is to select another stock, switch to formula mode and manually edit the ticker.

trinity168 and Anne11 like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Is this similar to GoogleFinance option in Google's sheets?

Example

3. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Yes.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Reviving an old thread because there was a difference between Numbers and GoogleFinance which I'm not yet on top of.

GoogleFinance works as expected for current stock prices, but "Historical data, even for a single day, will be returned as an expanded array with column headers". So I can't have a historical figure for a single date in a single cell.

There is a difference between the two in regards to quoting the exchange. GoogleFinance uses the format "ASX:VAS" whereas Numbers uses "VAS.AX".

Until I can work out a way around the array issue in GoogleFinance, I prefer to use Numbers. (Being on Apple hardware for my laptop and tablet I have that option)

Redwing likes this.
  5. nofriends

nofriends Well-Known Member

@geoffw
    this below has worked for me in google sheets for at least the past 12 months:

=index(GOOGLEFINANCE(A2))
    returns current price

=index(GOOGLEFINANCE(A2,"close",DATE(2019,4,29)),2,2)
    returns price as of 30/4/2019 - note the 1-day date difference - not sure if that's to do with my local settings somewhere in my google account or the fact that it's still a previous day at google HQ when ASX closes here o_O

A2 cell would just contain a ticker, for example ASX:MLT