Stock investment resources

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by The Falcon, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Actually interesting question on long term total shareholder return buying the big 3 LICs at a discount (typically during well developed bull market) vs buying at a premium (bear market)...Interesting...

Game has changed though I think now that the fee for service advisors are putting a lot of their clients into lics, there is more demand for the product which might change future discount/premium cycles somewhat.

Nodrog likes this.
  2. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

No worries, all good (apart from the running out of beer!)

3. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

I usually just use a calculator cos I'm oldschool like those oldschool LICs. My calcs were based on yesterday's MLT and XJO close so might've been slightly out given there was 1.13% drop in the XJO today.

I get my NAV data from here:
    MLT-Milton Corporation – ETF Watch

4. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to work with you on this pet project. I've just gotten back from my ~7 month sabbatical and currently got some free time :)

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

TF,

Yes very valid point. Post FOFA I have wondered about the long term implications myself. Will be interesting to see the impact in coming years. Recent trends suggest it is already having an impact. There is also the recent huge growth in ETFs that is new competition to LICs and are seen as the "in thing" nowadays. Advisors are more likely to recommend LICs than previously to clients nowadays but LICs are also competing with a monumentally popular newcomer being ETFs. Advisors love ETFs in general and of course they like the fact that ETFs are free of NTA issues. But my gut tells me that there is a likelihood the LIC NTA cycle may be impacted going forward.

As mentioned in my previous post even in the past these NTA heuristics don't always hold true. I suppose the main point I was trying to highlight is to not let NTA discount and premium obsession cloud ones judgement.

The Falcon likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

pippen likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

8. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    The part about overseas assets allocation was interesting. Don't think many would have that much.

9. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Ok I'm reading random walk down wall street. It's interesting but I get the feeling after half finishing the book that he will keep bringing up study after study and anecdote after anecdote that supports his very logical conclusion that almost noone beats the market.

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yep.

11. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Cool. Good to know haha

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Over the long term correct. And thats a key tenet behind index funds.

Northy85 likes this.
  13. The Falcon

Quite true. And one can stop the journey at that point, which is quite reasonable or can continue on if they have an interest.

14. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Motivated Money done.

Random Walk down Wall Street and The Economist Guide just arrived today.

Need to read fast!

15. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've really struggled with the Economist Guide. I get about 1/3 - 1/2 way through and drop out. Twice now.

16. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I haven't got the Economist Guide (so good to get feedback) or Education of a value Investor. Enjoying Buffett and I have the Most important thing at home.

Has anyone read th Educaiton of a Value Investor? Curious for a review of it.

I found a Random Walk Down Wall Street excellent. I don't subscribe to the efficient market theory (EMT) fully, however I do believe it is so difficult to beat the market it is best to invest as if EMT is alive and well.

Bran likes this.
  17. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Anyone read shares by Roger Kinsky? I got the book some years ago and was going to read it as I just found it again. Unfortunately my puppy didn't approve and there isn't much left.

Attached Files:

18. The Falcon

19. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Thanks, was actually looking at an Oppenheimer graph that is very similar to one in the whitepaper.

Do you know what criteria they use for dividend growers and initiators? Is it as simple as looking at past dividend performance and if it grew over the past x length of time?

I do find it interesting that so many people (especially on MMM) advocate low/non dividend payers. People seem convinced that it shows the company can do something great with the cash if they retain it rather than distribute it.

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Seeing @The Falcon has heaps of spare time (NOT), his posting of the above paper is probably partly in response to me bugging him about where to find this research. Too much home brew has made me Google-challenged:confused:.

The following is why I asked him about the location of the above research:

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2016
    Hodor likes this.