Stock investment resources

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by The Falcon, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Intrigued_again

Intrigued_again Well-Known Member

Bingo

Short of direct advice if you have any questions for Peter email him,
    [email protected]

Austini
    I believe is spot on

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Uuuummmm. New member, knows my old username. Very Intrigued:D Do I know you?

Bingo, yes as Intrigued_Again suggested email him if you have a query. Peter is very obliging. He's likely to reply to your email.

3. Intrigued_again

Austini, actually know it from another forum can’t tell which one though to many moons ago, no I have been around quite some time just never bothered to register here, and there are few that have your message in the world. And it doesn’t matter how loud or how long you sing its a few that will listen. It seems it’s too simple and there must be something missing

If only they knew how quick it happens all of a sudden there’s cash everywhere.

Though I do have a more direct approach, can’t really see the sense in paying someone for what I can do myself, but fully understand your point.

Nodrog likes this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hi IA,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, been banging on about income from shares for so long now it's getting embarrassing:oops:. Direct or indirect, active or passive it doesn't matter which way you go about, the cash generation from shares (Industrials in particular) is what I'm most keen to get across.

And as you say the message and the ability for the average person to do this is so damn simple that many dismiss it.

I suppose why I still persist with pushing this simple approach (which is not mine obviously but one picked up from Thornhill and others) is that we were able to retire early because of it and are living proof that it is not textbook stuff but really does work. And as risk takers we are very conservative believing income from shares to be far less riskier than many alternatives which appears to be the case having experienced relatively generous, reliable and growing income through bull/bear markets and crashes.

Intrigued_A another critical point you make is:
    That's what amazed me and even after all these years it still continues to do so.

So, simple and boring the message might be but powerful and incredibly financial rewarding it is!

As usual I'm not licenced to give advice, so personal view only.

willair likes this.
  5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

A timely update! More on the familiar theme (but it is a good one and worth beating into ones skull).

Welcome - Motivated Money

wombat777 likes this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Oh dear it's appears to be true I am boring, nobody reads my posts (post #53):( Oh well depressed again, another excuse for some more red:D

ellejay and Bran like this.
  7. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Oh I saw your post but thought it was just a link to the homepage... excuse me for also posting it after you did haha

8. The Falcon

Ha. As did I. I didn't follow the link :)

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Two ways of looking at this:

1. It's a conspiracy to drive me to drink:eek:

Or

2. My cunning plan to keep getting others to repost the same link;)

Either way long live "income from shares":p

10. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Very easy to walk up the letterbox several times each year and pick up the cheques,some will think it is the appearance of inconsistency,like the difference between cask wine and high end bottled wine..just keep doing what your doing..

11. The Falcon

Care to post a review on the Aldi Tempranillo ? Very much at a MLT price point, but how is the performance? :)

A few weeks ago I had the good fortune of sharing a bottle of 98 Jasper Hill Georgias Paddock. Probably the finest wine I've ever had (though being truthful I had already had a few sherbets). Regrettably the pricing was very much in line with the typical 2 and 20 structure of a hedge fund, thus making it's ongoing consumption foolhardy, as is the latter!

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Mar, 2016
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Damn, you read that post before I deleted it on Sunday morning. How embarrassing. That's what happens when "Posting under the influence":oops:.

ALDI Tempranillo performance wise not too bad actually. More along the lines of Index performance with low fees though. My expert opinion being it's cheap ($4.99), red, tastes like wine, I don't cringe after the first mouthful and it leaves me feeling relaxed after one bottle:cool:

This what prompted me to try it:

"2014 Sydney International Wine Competition:

The $4.99 Aldi tempranillo, El Toro Macho, was one of only two tempranillos to make it though to the competition final. The other was the Trinity Hill Gimblett Gravels tempranillo, which retails at $35."

Shame ALDI Online Liquor is closing down on 24 March:mad::(:(. But hopefully more liquor related profits will then flow through to Wollies and Wesfarmers (increased dividend?) allowing me up go more upmarket. Perhaps $4.99 to $5.99 a bottle:D:D Although should actually be tightening our belts having borrowed even more to further top up TLS the other day at $5:eek:. LVR now sitting at a whopping 1.5%. I don't know how I can sleep at night:D.

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2016
    The Falcon likes this.
  13. The Falcon

Just found this BKI quarterly from last December. They talk a little about dividend growth investing and how dividend cuts outside of GFC scenarios are a trigger for review (some DGIs will automatically sell on div cut). Since then WOW has lost the mantle of dividend aristocrat so interesting to see if they have sold down, though I doubt it. Anyway, it's all common sense stuff and you'll pick up some familiar themes no doubt :)

http://bkilimited.com.au/investment/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/15050151.pdf

BKI has a very similar methodology to MLT which isn't surprising as the management are close (Millners and Gooch), both proven long term stewards of capital.

pippen, oracle, Ouga and 1 other person like this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

TF, thanks for that.

BKI yes definitely another excellent LIC. Used to own way back when Huntley first merged with them. Probably wish I still held as Tom M has done a great job in building the company and raising its profile. However given our very substantial holding in MLT and as explained in a post some time ago about wanting to keep the portfolio simple and manageable should I kick the bucket we decided to reduce our number of LIC holdings. Hence selling BKI quite some time ago and using funds to add to MLT being a larger similar beast.

Any of the following have somewhat similar traits. That is well managed, low turnover, dividend focused, very low fees, been around for a long time and run for the benefit of shareholders (not the manager):

AFI, ARG, AUI, BKI, DUI, MLT & WHF

AFI and ARG generally get most attention. However for dividend growth with substantial Industrial focus MLT and BKI certainly meet that criteria. WHF great for pure Industrials but smaller and less liquid at times. AUI and DUI have rewarded shareholders well over time but are tightly held and also lack liquidity. As for AFI and ARG, although the media/investor favourites, they tend to be more index like given their sheer size and load up more on Resources than I'd like at times to keep the masses happy.

For the set and forget investor wanting a reliable growing income stream these are about as good as it gets. But the disadvantage at times is NTA premium issues and in some cases illiquidity. On the contrary NTA discounts can also offer extraordinary opportunities for the astute investor.

MLT is our largest LIC holding and certainly happy for it to be so. AFI although the largest in size and most popular LIC is one of our smaller holdings for reasons stated above.

Not advice, lunatic ramblings only:confused:

momentum26 and apk like this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Realist35 and Hodor like this.
  16. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

17. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Hi @The Falcon and @austing,
    I just finished Motivated Money and was wondering what to do now. Who do I speak to that will help me implement the books advice? I just bought VAS and VHY and I hold a few hundred SVW shares but is that the right thing to do? should I keep buying vanguard and reinvesting the dividends or buy banks and large to medium cap industrial companies?

I want a simple strategy that doesn't require too much tinkering to start with and then when I get more educated I can play around with thing a little more.

cheers guys

18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

First up I'm not licenced to give advice but what follows is what I mostly do nowadays.

I used to have a larger Industrial portfolio years ago. However due to wanting a simpler, minimal time consuming strategy and more importantly an investment portfolio that could be easily managed by my wife if anything happened to me it now consists of a lot less stocks.

From what I understand the majority of Thornhill's income comes from the larger cap Industrials and LICs. For small caps where stock picking is more involved he uses a fund manager.

The simplest way to implement the Motivated Money approach is to just buy the major/older LICs such as MLT, ARG, AFI, BKI, WHF. And to improve diversification away from the concentrated ASX TOP 20 a LIC like QVE which focuses on mid and small caps is a worthwhile addition.

For a tiny bit of extra work whilst still keeping things simple buying Industrials from the Top 20 such as the banks, TLS, WES etc can boost yield albeit with less diversification.

Personally the larger part of my holdings are the LICs. However when the large "no brainer" Industrials are being hammered and are offering fantastic yields I will top up these.

It is easy to get carried away with investing burdening oneself with lots of stocks, unneeded complexity and time consumption down the track. I love my life nowadays being retired and having an investment approach that takes bugger all time, knowledge and effort to manage. Pretty damn close to set and forget. In fact it would be totally set and forget if I just stuck to LICs and traditional index ETFs. But I'm afraid I'm greedy so can't resist having some low maintence direct Industrials:D

19. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

Thanks mate,
    That looks pretty simple to implement. I think having a few hammered industrial shares in the portfolio would be good to get the yield up and also keep things a bit more interesting, if you're into that kind of thing that is.

I really appreciate the feedback.

cheers.

The Falcon likes this.
  20. Intrigued_again

Northy85

Find Ashley Ormond books will help with your education, actually anything he has written will help.

He helped us through the GFC period, and most certainly in March 2009, he use to put out a newsletter called Fear and greed report (free), he certainly knew when to back the truck up and give it all you can.

Please do not take his books too lightly as his real name is Ashley Owen, and controls quite a few Billion in funds, unfortunately he stopped his newsletter several years ago, after they started Philo Capital advisers.

He still writes every now and then for the Cuffelink newsletter and also Philo capital site.

Northy85 likes this.