Stock investment resources

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by The Falcon, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Butler

The Butler Well-Known Member

Bought and read Carlson's book. Liked it. Made me re-read "All about Assets Allocation" by Rick Ferri. Liked this also, better second time round and after reading Carlson's book. It is US centric. It has made me re-think my risk profile and asset allocation. Bit that really made me think can be paraphrased by an excerpt from a recent article on Seeking Alpha by another commentator on that was on a different subject but had a paragraph on risk in it......
    Successful investing, like life, is all about managing risk. You need to plan and set your goal for what you personally need to achieve (financially) and when you need to achieve it (time horizon). Once that is defined, then you want to adopt the strategy with the least risk to achieve that goal. Greater return requires greater risk. There is no free ride. If you want to achieve 1000% gain in 2 years on some high tech IPO, you're going to have huge risk along with that potential gain. However, if you NEED 1000% gain to reach your 2-year goal, you will have to accept high risk. A 0.4% bank demand deposit account just ain't gonna do it. The flip side is that if your goal can be achieved by simply putting your money into an FDIC insured 0.4% bank deposit, then do it. Do not take on any excessive risk since you do not need any higher gain to reach your goal. Why risk failing to reach your goal simply for maybe getting more than you want and need anyway. The excess gain is unimportant, not even included in your original goal plan. The failure would be a major setback, leaving you short of a needed and desired goal."

Full article at"
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/3466216-learning-from-the-masters-q-and-a-session-with-richard-berger-part-I

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2015
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Rereading Bogle's "common sense on mutual funds". It's a great read, John Bogle is such a clear thinker. The title is misleading to some extent, it's about much more than mutual funds. Worth having on the book shelf.

3. Rustycage

Rustycage New Member

+1 on the recommendation of the Investor's Podcast.

The Falcon, I downloaded a few episodes of the Value Investing podcast you mentioned last night, and has been good so far! The Guy Spier book is next on my list

I've enjoyed any book all the John Bogle and Peter Lynch books I've read too. The Motley Fool Money podcast is fairly entertaining as has some useful information focused on the US market. It probably isn't as informative as other sources though

The Falcon likes this.
  4. Nick23

Nick23 Active Member

Good morning all, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster.

I too, upon recommendation of The Falcon have just finished reading:-
    1) A Random Walk down wall St and
    2) Motivated Money....

Both great books and really highlight to me:-

1) PPOR is a "lifestyle" asset - i.e my family and I need somewhere to live, but this asset doesn't create an income stream for us and we will always need somewhere to live.
    2) My family and I need to create a growing passive income outside of Property
    3) This passive income growth strategy is best achieved, slowly (and hopefully surely) over the long term (i.e multi decadal).

I've just bought the rest of the books on the Falcons recommended reading list.

I'm excited about my investing future!

Bran, S.T, Jack Chen and 1 other person like this.
  5. The Falcon

Read all you can Nick, education is key here as with it you are able to choose your own way, and find what works for you and you aren't reliant on opinions, tips and schemes. You will also be much more resilient as an investor. Good Luck!

pippen and Chris Au like this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Where did you pick up Motivated Money from, is it only available from Thornhill's web-site or?

7. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Had a listen to the podcast yesterday, it was good.
    I'll be listening to other episodes and I can recommend it to others.

8. Nick23

Nick23 Active Member

The Education of a Value Investor, Guy Spier - Check!

What a good book...for me this really highlights a couple of things...

1) We are all fallible and it takes a level headed / cool headed investor to keep buying while the rest of the world is selling...i.e. it's a very very hard job (if not impossible) to rationally assess things when the world is crashing around you.

2) It's interesting that Guy Spier talks about "switching off the market prices" and focus more on the intrinsic nature of the business that he is looking to invest in and the fundamentals with the business, industry and the economy and how to protect capital.

There is plenty more to this book...but well worth a read...tHanks Falcon.

I'm onto the Howard Mark's book now...

+1 for the Investor's Podcast.

The Falcon likes this.
  9. The Falcon

Cufflinks is Oz specific - has some interesting pieces from time to time, SMSF stuff too. Worth signing up for the free newsletter email. Always worth a look ; www.cuffelinks.com.au

Prashant Mahajan likes this.
  10. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Looks like I've got some reading and watching to do….. Thanks so much for sharing this.

11. johnpendlebury

johnpendlebury Well-Known Member

What a fantastic talk that is.

The quote that resonates with me:

Never forget the six foot tall man who drowned crossing the stream that was five feet deep on average.

ie, your portfolio should be built to withstand the bad times

12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I have had bad experience with Eureka Report, and followed their recommendations (D.S.H!!!). Needless to say the rest was history and I did not renew.

I found that within the last 12 months my selection of stocks on my super provided better returns than those newsletters.

Hotcopper is fun to look at because of all those rampers ..... Sometimes for a good laugh.

13. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

Was a member of Hotcopper for over 15 years. Was some good years but it just became a ramper's (and downrampers's) paradise. It's become more of a business so volume of posts (for advertising) is significantly preferred over quality, so much so that the moderation is virtually non-existent, and obviously biased posters who are cross promoting on stocks are largely ignored. It took me about two years to get a certain poster banned because he was falsely claiming that a couple directors in a stock I held were crooks and had recently come out of jail.

The site now is just a disgrace and poor imitation of its former self. Mind you the other two options I'm aware of, Topstocks and Sharescene, are no better.

That is why I'm hesitant to create my own specific stock threads on this forum as do not want to attract mischief makers from those other forums.

14. The Falcon

Yeah, very true. I've seen a couple of very good posters on HC (from a fundamental perspective) but the vast majority are a motley crew of gamblers, rampers, shorts, BS artists and miscellaneous peanuts.

One problem with a "stocks" forum is that is akin to having a "religion" forum whereby members of all denominations argue over a given subject. It just doesn't work (this can be seen from the few stock specific threads on here). The only best stock forums I have seen are style specific, ie. Value or DGI. I am sure there are others.

On a similar subject, I've got a model portfolio (all industrials modified equal weight) that I share with a couple of mates who get it. No point posting here though as the stock specific discussion is quite pointless. I've no interest in arguing with people about positions unless they are going to research the stock and then approach their argument in real detail (which actually adds value and may lead some to question their thesis..great stuff) ..and really not that many people have this kind of interest!

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jan, 2016
    radson likes this.
  15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

16. AdamPineapples

AdamPineapples Well-Known Member

Very good resources guys.
    Any good resources for day trading on the ASX?
    Or other international markets.

Been quite interested in day trading as a form of funding long term investments. That's if it's profitable.

17. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    If you have to ask the question, chances are you are going to get burnt - badly.
    Read some of the excellent posts on the forum, and you can hopefully see this is no get rich quick scheme. It has been proven a majority of professional fund managers (whose whole job is to pick stocks with considerable resources and expertise at their fingertips) under perform the market.

Nodrog likes this.
  18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Most of the resources here look at why day trading isn't a good play and how to win with long term investments. The Howard Marks and Peter Thornhill videos highlighted this (for me anyway).

A big lesson for me was how Howard Marks pointed out his fund was never higher that the top 24th percentile but never lower than the 50th percentile (year to year) and this put his fund in the top 4% over about 20 years.

I've been wanting to build a long term profitable portfolio for when I extract equity from property in the future as I don't want to be a complete novice when I dump serious cash in and the info here has got me pointed in the right direction (I hope). Looking at building some knowledge and getting into some ETFs (thinking VAS and VGS) and LICs (thinking AFI and WAM) rather than trying to pick individual stocks which has been hit and miss.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks to everyone posting so far.

Nodrog, The Falcon and radson like this.
  19. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 23rd Feb, 2016
  20. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'll take a look once I finish everything on my reading list, which will be a while. Allow me time to get some skin in the game on the four stocks I mentioned. Something like those will form the core of my portfolio figure it gives broad exposure to top Aussie companies as both LIC and ETF along with some international exposure and finally mid/small cap exposure that is more actively managed. Time will tell if I need to balance it out differently by adding or removing. Might get a trial account and see how I go picking my own over a few years once I finish reading my book list, if that's successful I can devote a portion to manage myself.

One thing I'm interested in is covered calls to add extra income. Can anyone recommend some reading? And what are others thoughts on using covered calls?