Stick vacuum recommendations

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 5th May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Really such a first world problem - but - now living near the beach with two large dogs that love a swim every arvo, I'm sweeping up buckets of sand from the floorboards each day ... so ... after a zip zip stick vacuum to deal with the worst of it.

No preference on price or brand, but want something that darn well works for a reasonable price

2. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Ha, I am just looking at the same!
    Yesterday trying to clean-up our IP a bit. Being tile floor, particles show-up very unforgivingly.
    Me having OCD cant stand this. Hubby used to drag the vacuum out, and then one of us will mop it, and while waiting for it to dry, have to make sure none of us would trip.
    Alternatively (like yesterday), I got the broom out, and a dust pan, and have to squat and scoop the particles out. Not very good for my poor old back....
    So will be going to the shops and see if I can find any Mother's Day deal.

In our own home we have a portable Xiaomi handheld. Very pretty since it's white. But too many parts to assemble.
    So like you, I am also after a stick vaccuum.
    Currently the Bissel is very popular, but at $500-600, not sure if I am willing to spend that money.

Sorry, long write-up but not helpful at all haha.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've had two big name stick cleaners. The latest one is over $1k but our son has it and it is far superior to the model we have, wider head, better pick up and much quieter, and lasts so much longer on a full charge.

I read on this forum I think, about Wertheim and next I try will be one of those.

But for sand and daily use, I'd choose a cheap stick one and if it doesn't cope with the sand, upgrade. I honestly don't know if the price of the big brands represent good value, because we are not overly impressed with the ones we've had. Surely, we can't have just managed to buy three lemons?

Before the big brand stick, we had two same brand uprights, both failed miserably, were replaced each time, but put me off every buying another one.

4. Pumpkin

And BTW, hubby is totally against Dyson :cool:

skater and Lizzie like this.
  5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

6. wylie

A remember long ago at a beach holiday, having a shallow water bowl set up outside. I think it was a shallow bath type of set up, built into the patio. Before we got to the door, we walked through this water and onto a mat. If you google "washing feet at the door" you'll see some ideas. I'm unsure about copyright so will let you google rather than post here.

Some photos show a tap and timber enclosure beside a house, with rocks to stand on and allow drainage.

7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We have this one: LG A9NEOMULTI CordZero A9 Neo Multi Handstick Vacuum at The Good Guys

It's an absolute beast of a thing, whole house on 1 battery (although they give you two batteries so all good if your house is larger).

The turbo mode is overkill, it's awesome on major soiling but I don't think we have ever needed to us it, standard mode picks up everything.

We have a cat (Fur shedding) and we live near the beach (Sand) and I would buy this thing again in a heartbeat.

My only small gripe is they don't tell you in the instruction manual that if debris builds up in the pipe the vac will go into safe mode and start running fast then slow then fast then slow then shut off. Ours went back 4 times for repairs before I finally found details about how it does this. Sure enough removing the pipe and clearing it was all that was needed lol.

The 3rd party repair shop that LG use loved it though, they got paid more than the vac cost.

Stoffo, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  8. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Sheesh - wasn't wanting to spend anything like what you guys are recommending! For $800 I'll continue the 10 minute daily sweep.

I remember, a few years back, people raving about the "Shark" stick vac from BigW and was wondering more about something like that. It's only a 150sqm house with timber floorboards throughout (so no carpet) and gets a proper vacuum once a week.

9. Pumpkin

I am a Minimalist and have always threatened to buy one of these. Maybe they have a newer model now, with optional charge head for pets I think.
    The ones I looked in the past is manual not even powered.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Definitely - maybe I'm a Luddite as I still get around on my broom :p

Last edited: 5th May, 2021
    Dan Donoghue and datto like this.
  11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

But does it pick up sand?

I used to use one of those large head mop top shaggy sweeper things, brilliant for picking up dog hair and dust - but useless on sand (to heavy) ... whereas the simple broom doesn't pick up the dog hair properly ... sigh

12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

13. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I would go to a Godfreys store and try them out in real.

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I was given a cheapie years ago but it didn't suck hard enough so it went with the trash. If I was wealthy I'd get some French maids:)

Stoffo, spoon and Scott No Mates like this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've got an earlier version of the Xiaomi an it's excellent. Mine has a shorter battery life, but 30 minutes is still good. I've used it in a lot of situations - it does well in most except for the place where the budgie flew loose in the room - birdseed husks were too light to gather up properly.

At $200, that's a great buy. And replaceable battery is good.

I wouldn't. I went there to check them out, and they told me that I would need to spend at least $1000.

Whether a vacuum cleaner works or not - it still sucks.

datto and spoon like this.
  16. wylie

I have a mental picture of Lizzie walking into Godfreys with her bucket of sand, tipping it on the floor and asking to try a few different models. :D:p

17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

The good thing is, if the vacuum doesn't work, you can blame them and walk away. They look after the rest... ;) You can bring something more challenging...:D

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're going soft in your old age - next thing you'll do is sell the VN for a Red Citreon. :eek:

datto likes this.
  19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

20. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Would something like a robot-vac be an option?

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on one for a while now :)

Stoffo likes this.