Steven Keen is back - so everything is going to be okay

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Lizzie, 28th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

You are distorting stats by using 2x individualistatewide average income levels and comparing it to Western Sydney entry level properties.
    The 165k household imcome would put them in roughly the top 25% of the roighly 10m household incomes in the entire country. Now let's be generous and say 40% are in Sydney, so 1m. Of these, relevant to your post, let's say one third are the first home/entry level buyers, although i suspect the number is significantly smaller than that. Anyway, that means 333k but logically i suspect the number of firdt home buyers in this income category is likely to be as low as 100k

So basically, your argument that homes are affordable in Sydney is based on 100k- 333k out of a city of 2 million households being able to afford a house or unit in western sydney? So it's affordable for a tiny sliver of first home buyers, what about the rest?

That's not only a misleading manipulation of data it also applies to such a small % of the population that it ignores the rest.

Feel free to check the above figures, im happy to amend if wrong but using 165k, which would put them as earning more than 80% of all households, as a way to justify general affordability, is not something that should be left unchallenged as it's simply not an accurate representation of the overall situation

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Again , under 4x income based on an entirely made up figure of 165k you're using

We live in the information age, it's really not hard to check these figures considering there was a nationwide census done in 2016 and income levels can be easily checked and cross referenced

Just for clarification, apart from Sydney where i do believe things have gone a bit too far price wise, i generally hold the belief that the trade off in terms of housing affordability and other lifestyle and work benefirs nowadays is superior to back in the day and that a lack of nuance and perspective is often frustrating to see.

That being said, the only way to have productive meaningful discussion.on such an important issue is to be accurate and not to frame rare examples that fit a narrative as if they are commonplace

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2018
    TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No probs - quick google tells me the average household income for Sydney is $103,000 ... Household median incomes 2017-18 ... understanding that there will always be people who earn less and there will always be people who rent their entire lives.

Not everyone will be able to afford to buy - never has and never will and is not a right

So, taking the example I used earlier:

10/56 Park Avenue, Kingswood, NSW 2747

Fully reno'd 2/1/1 for $299k 5 minutes walk to the train station. 3x average household income. Why would this not make a good starter?

Most certainly not 333km from Sydney ... although I would probably start with something not reno'd and make myself some sweat equity

skater likes this.
  4. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hey Lizzie,

Are you from Sydney?
    Are you familiar with Kingswood?

If the average household income can only afford an apartment in Kingswood, upward mobility has come to a grinding halt. It's now rise of the downward mobile.

I own several properties in the area. Not a jab to the area at all.

$550-600k is more realistic to what a first home buyer in Sydney is after. Average run of the mill unit in an average rub of the mill suburb.

And these first homebuyers are unlikely on the median household income.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Who is this with? Great deal.

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Kogan!
    The plan is $400 per year
    Often they have 40% off sales
    However recently they've been doing buy one get one free, which is where I got mine

Also check out lebara they've got a special right now
    $16 per month for 20gb for only 6 months plus unlimited international calls

Lebara Australia | Great Value International Calls & Mobile Prepaid Plans

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nope - but the whole purpose of this exercise is to show that it's possible to own ... not to indulge aspirations to own more than you can afford

skater likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks. I'm with Kogan and pay $130 upfront for the year and I think I have a couple of gig. I've only gone over once when we were travelling within Australia and I had a lot of things to manage back home, and had to buy a bolt on pack with extra gigs for that month.

But if I start to go over more often, I'll upgrade to the higher gig plan.

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yep, kogan is certainly cheap,
    no more contracts for me, I havent been on one for at least 15 yrs

10. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Is this 3g or 4g?

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

From their website:
    Lightning fast 4G speeds

Kogan Mobile is fast. Really fast. Take advantage of faster speeds and excellent coverage thanks to blistering 4G†. All you’ll need is a 4G enabled handset and connection in a 4G coverage area. To check coverage in your area click here.

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Sorry, i was asking about lebara?

13. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

They use 4G Vodafone.

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence about whether wanting a bigger house when you have kids Is a luxury or not.
    I mean kids sizes (for arguments sake) haven't changed size, nor their wants for a big backyard

2 young kids in an apartment I think is a bit tough. But that being said in Asian countries it's damn normal

15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia