Steve McKnight Webinar today

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MTR, 9th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

He can be quite brutal! I took my 50yr old friend along to a seminar after she went bankrupt to get some direction. He pretty much said once you are 50, have teenage kids it’s difficult to build any financial freedom. Happy to say she bought a nice house in Perth, huge block, 900sqm, good lifestyle late last year and is very happy. I guess in Melbourne it would be a lot harder to do this though! I think he has lots of valid points though!

Redwing, ellejay and MTR like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Done..

Attached Files:

Pingu1988, Tyla, MTR and 3 others like this.
  3. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Is he Melb based? When you're in a storm it's hard to see the sun.

wylie, Scaphella, ellejay and 4 others like this.
  4. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

Frightening watching. Three to five years. Deleveraging here we come

5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

He's a bit of a weirdo...

6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

You think so? He’s been spot on with most of his predictions, wish I’d had the confidence to act on them

Gill Bates and ellejay like this.
  7. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I agree with @MTR, I listened to it yesterday, it was a bit depressing. He is a number guy and very conservative. This doesn`t mean he is wrong. The whole message was "get ready because it is going to be tough, however, if you see an opportunity and you are ready for it, go for it".

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its not a personality competition

Gill Bates and Pingu1988 like this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

You're probably right, but I just find it hard to trust someone's assessment (which may or may not be valid), when he's so obviously obsessed with things that aren't founded in fact, that he brings into every aspect of his life.

Pingu1988, kierank and MTR like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Fair enough
    I just look at his track record

mind you I think this time seems a bit over the top, hoping his wrong

spludgey likes this.
  11. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

His pandemic data is pretty outdated and extreme. I think he understands property but he doesn't understand the pandemic nearly as well. Still, his advice is good as always.

MTR likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

hope you are right

13. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

Did he make any predictions during the GFC? If so, how accurate did they turn out? I think it's very important during this time of high stress we do not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Pingu1988 and spludgey like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think more important is just to manage risk, whatever that means for each person

it may get alot more uglier? We just dont know?

for example, we are seeing some fall out now

rents falling in Syd/Melb

Price drops, Syd/Melb (fragmented)

Unemployment increasing

Banks tightening lending

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think he sold out of Australia and took his profits then jumped into USA market making a killing here

Is track record speaks for itself. At the same time no one is God..... investors who survive to live another day understand that preserving capital in downturn is key

Plenty on this forum have seen downturns, you could ask these people

I have given u my point of view coming from my experiences

Pingu1988 likes this.
  16. lettert

lettert Well-Known Member

Thought this might be a relevant insight regarding his previous behavior:
    Steve Mcknight says not to buy now....
    (jun 2008)

I also found an article by him from 2014 predicting a market crash and not to buy at that time.

His track record is indeed very interesting.

Of course, to excuse his previous records, as they say: past performance is no guarantee of future returns...

If I were to focus on only his current statement (going off the slides only) disregarding his past performance, I would focus on a few facets:

- he says pandemic will continue til dec2022, he may be right about this in that I don't think a vaccine will be out before then
    - he conflates global circumstances with local/Aussie circumstances
    - he says as though for a fact "your income will drop 50%"
    - and quite a lot of other assumptions I don't agree with, which lead to his doomsday predictions

On the whole he may be right that certain investments including property as a whole may underperform.

But his conclusion of (essentially) "batten down the hatches and just try to survive" is not one that I agree with, there are opportunities in every situation and even with regard to property only, each property market (suburb, street etc) is different.

Hodge, kierank, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  17. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

His analysis of markets is always great I think. I just think in this case the data inputs regarding the pandemic are wrong and that's what he's made his predictions on.

Given the data he presented regarding the pandemic I too would be pessimistic about the future.

ellejay and MTR like this.
  18. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

That's quite interesting, he arguably got the first call wrong given Aus property did fine during the GFC, but absolutely nailed the USA market.

I definitely agree on having a solid plan B and risk mitigation. Anyone that doesn't is a gambler not an investor.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I would say he took profits from Aussie property market. He has many eggs in many baskets

20. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Just finished watching this.

Very sensible. Plan for the worst for at least 2 years and expect the best. Makes sense to reduce consumption right now and have buffers for debt and longer term possible rent losses if this drags on for a couple of years and job losses are extreme. If things turn out better, no harm done.

His pandemic and virus insights could (as some have indicated) be way off. Then again, if this hangs around for a while and a reliable and safe vaccine is a while off, the lowest common denominator of human stupidity and selfishness will hamper efforts to curtail the spread. Not just here, but everywhere. There is a balancing act to health and safety versus economic destruction, however that isn't going to be known until after the fact with the benefit of the retrospectoscope.

Jobkeeper and elevated job seeker payments aren't going to go on ad infinitum. The sooner people understand that it pays for everyone to be sensible and look out for one another, then the mask impositions and movement limitations will be relaxed. Thereafter wear a mask if you feel the need or are ill and keep your distance........ Just my 0.02

lixas4, Brisbane04, wylie and 3 others like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia