Education Stay the course: 2019 Vanguard Index Chart

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by oracle, 30th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been posted before but here is the link (latest as of June 2019)

What is interesting is Australian shares over 5, 10, 20 and 30 have returns pretty consistent returns. Not sure how much high dividends played a role in consistent returns.

Bit disappointing with International shares returns but we know it's mostly Japan whiched dragged returns down.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.08.53 pm.png

$10,000 dollar investment would turn to following amounts after 30 years.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 11.09.08 pm.png

Cheers,
    Oracle.

2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From memory Aus and US returns have been roughly the same over the very long term. But they often take turns in outperforming each other. During the recent decade the US has outperformed Aus but the decade before that it was the opposite.

4BC531AF-86D0-4540-8855-C251779353D6.png

US will fall more than Australia in next bust

Based on that, @oracle I reckon you should consider just investing in VAS and IVV. Oh wait a minute, you already do:).

sharon, orangestreet, Redwing and 3 others like this.
  3. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I keep telling myself to keep investing simple. Over the long term it is very hard for active to beat passive especially if fees of active are much higher than passive.

Cheers
    Oracle

number 5, Snowball, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  4. Ross36

Ross36 Well-Known Member

Might be my favourite chart ever that one. Every time I see it I feel much better about international diversification! It also reminds me that trying to time which market to invest in is a fools errand as either one can be dominant for 20 odd years. If there's a pattern there I can't see it.