Stay safe everyone

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 11th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

We barely scratched 4mm up until today ... reckon we're getting a good solid, steady 20-30 right now ... but yes ... be a lot of runoff due to burnt off groundcover in a number of areas

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm reading this ATM. I found it really interesting that Indigenous people had forms of agriculture - they weren't just hunter gatherers as I had supposed. I haven't got to the part about fires yet, but that isn't a new thing - it's something I have read about going back quite a while.

There is criticism of his use of some of the sources. There is also criticism of his claim of aboriginality, which I think is irrelevant. Whether or not he has Indigenous background, what he has written stands up by itself.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Dark-Emu-New-Bruce-Pascoe-ebook/dp/B07DWLW3RV

Lizzie likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Most of the criticism comes from him shaking up the "status quo" propaganda used to justify taking of the land as taught in the history books (note: he is not blaming).

Apparently Empirical laws of the time stated that lands could not be "acquired" if the traditional owners of said land had an established agriculture industry (the late 1700's European basis for determining an advanced civilisation) - hence those who were wanting to land-grab had to convince the public/lawmakers of the day, back in the UK, that the Aborigines did not farm. This is despite the published diaries of the explorers clearly stating that they did.

I gather Canada underwent the same whitewashing.

I'm finding myself quite interested in the natural grains and tubers that were grown ... the grains were similar to wheat but apparently created a sweeter/lighter bread (according to the explorer diaries) ... and were a perennial crop with extensive and deep root, carbon storing systems. Only the tips were harvested, rather than having to re-sow every season and, although the harvest wasn't as abundant as modern wheat, it grew extensively in the dry interior with no irrigation.

**maybe need to branch off onto a new thread

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2020
    EN710 and geoffw like this.
  4. geoffw

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

6. geoffw

There was a fire at Queanbeyan this evening - big enough and dangerous enough for an evacuation alert to be issued for the other side of town - a five minute drive away. I wasn't in town - we were at the hospital where my wife has an infected tooth and jaw. Fortunately it was all under control within a couple of hours (the fire and the infection I guess).

But twelve out of the last 24 hours have been spent waiting at hospital waiting areas. Home at 4am from one hospital, then when it flared up again, she was sent to another hospital's emergency department.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2020
  8. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

My deepest sympathy to the families of the crew of the tanker which crashed in the Snowy Mountains this afternoon.

Vale.

9. SatayKing

Watch and Act alert for an out of control fire in Orroral Valley in the south of the ACT.

Not far from the old tracking station and likely close to Tharwa a small rural community in the Act.

10. geoffw

The fire has spread. People in Tharwa have been told that it's too late to leave. People in the southern suburbs have been told to be ready to act.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Apparently caused by a military helicopter landing light igniting grass

12. SatayKing

I was in Sydney yesterday so hadn't heard a lot about the situation. Understand it was an anxious time. Still is. Wouldn't take much for the fire to spread to places like Burra. It won't be out or controlled for quite some time.

13. SatayKing

Another day in paradise - not. Orroral fire has now burnt 30,000 hectares which is close to 10% of the ACT. It is 12km from the southern most suburbs of Canberra. It has spotted in the regions of Michelago and Bredbo in NSW.

I shouldn't be surprised after the ACT Government declaring an state of emergency for the territory with some residents confused it with rating of the respective fires which are now at Watch and Act i.e. monitor the situation and prepare your plan including in the event you have to evacuate. A few thought the ACT Government's declaration meant they had to evacuate immediately.

The fires are expected to get very, very nasty later today and tomorrow with the prediction maps showing the possible extensive spread of the fires.

willair likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I imagine 2003 is still very clear in the minds to many ... sending every wish of good fortune we can from further north and stay safe.

xx

15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Looks very intimidating.

16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Stay safe as looking the fire-front it may well be a nasty day..

SatayKing likes this.
  17. SatayKing

Ta all.

Monaro Highway between Canberra and Cooma now closed.

18. SatayKing

A contributor to the Canberra Times sent this pic from Black Mountain Tower showing the fire across Mt Tennent last night.

[​IMG]

geoffw and The Y-man like this.
  19. geoffw

Governments couldn't do this, so a private developer stepped in.

Active bushfire maps are state based. But a private developer has pieced together state based maps, and overlayed other cool info.
    bushfire.io

SatayKing likes this.
  20. SatayKing

"The (Orroral Valley) fire is 55,234 hectares, almost 23 per cent of the ACT"

Add the vast swathes in Victoria, NSW, SA, WA and QLD late last year.

Depressing.